Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

PSA for installing a seat swivel

Got my passenger seat swivel from 1der (Thanks!) and went to install it but found out I didn't have the right tool to remove the current base. After checking my Dad's and brother's garages, they didn't either. The two front bolts are some massive torx button heads. I ordered a set on amazon with the biggest torx bits I could find. Turned out to be a T55.

Just figured that some other people might run into this and knowing what size bit to get could make it a bit easier
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3664.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

I could be wrong, but I thought those were a "T55 Plus", heads up...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
Dang, I just did a test fit this morning before I left for work, but didn't actually remove the bolts. Seemed to fit, but I will report back when I get home. Could be I just missed the plus part of the size label.

If it doesn't actually work I am going to be upset because my set has T55 and T60 but not T55 plus.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post

Interesting, I've used a T55 to remove front seats and rear bench seats in my Ford van. But now that you mention it, it does fit a little loose. In my case, no harm done.

Note that I have a 2012 van and loosened all the bolts within two years. Might be a different story with bolts not touched for 10 or more years.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

Technically the bolts are T55 plus. But I have always used the T55 with fine results.

The caveat on this is if the bolts are stubborn then the looseness of the T55 becomes noticeable and the T55+ may be required to break them loose.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #6

Ben, if you continue to play with Ford vans you will have all sorts of odd Torx bits. If your Amazon purchase proves wrong I would get a single from O'reilley, Napa or a 'better' auto parts store. They're just a few bucks and they have the bulletproof type. I've attempted to destroy mine with a big air wrench for years, it still breaks loose rusted seat bolts without a problem. Plus they're guaranteed so it's just a quick run to the local store if I do ever finally break it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Ben, if you continue to play with Ford vans you will have all sorts of odd Torx bits. If your Amazon purchase proves wrong I would get a single from O'reilley, Napa or a 'better' auto parts store. They're just a few bucks and they have the bulletproof type. I've attempted to destroy mine with a big air wrench for years, it still breaks loose rusted seat bolts without a problem. Plus they're guaranteed so it's just a quick run to the local store if I do ever finally break it.
Yeah I really should have just bought a big set the first time, this is my second torx bit purchase for the van.

Also, I just used the t55 bit to remove the front seat no problem.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

I recently installed that swivel from 1der as well as some sienna seats in our middle row and I hate those torx wrenches! Does anyone see any issue with replacing them with some hex bolts and washers + split washers? Seems like being able to use a socket wrench would be sooo much easier if you ever wanted to remove them in the future. My bloody knuckles are hoping nobody dissuades me from this idea.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote