Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #11

Re: Question from germany: best way to get a 4x4 "SMB" ?

I wouldn't consider the 5.4 huge by any means, but thats just me coming from a 5.9 RAM
The 5.4 is okay, but doesn't rip the asphalt open like a high torque diesel. The environmental zone problem is a real killer here while tax is the same for a 5.4 gasser and the 7.3 diesel when you register them both as campers or commercial trucks. I pay 210€/yr for my 5.4, which would be double the amount if I'd register it as a camper. Insurance would be about the same for me.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #12

@ dave: thank you. this helps!

@ karsten: well ... in the realm of "downsizing" where they sell pickup trucks with a 2.0 l diesel (Amarok) a 5.4 l engine is huge. ... But as always: It depends.

Thank you for your advice about tax and insurance. I thought it would be more expensive.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #13

Judging by what I have seen over the years in Europe and the US, I would have the penthouse and 4x4 done here and have the interior built at home. The design, material/build quality, weight consciousness and space efficiency of European van conversions are miles ahead of anything I have seen here.

But above all, consider yourself lucky it is even possible to import a car you like, even if it is expensive. The protectionist laws we have here in the land of 'free trade' prevent anyone from importing vehicle less than 25 years old.

Good luck with your search and project.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #14

Good point witoke ... I thought the same. But converting a E350 to 4x4 and with a penthouse in the US might be already quite expensive. Probably more or the same as finding a SMB with existing penthouse and making that 4x4. And then I still have to add the interiour build in germany.

You are right. They build high quality over here. But the price is equivalent.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #15

Hi Phillipp
just come back from a 5 week Balkan trip. First i take a shower and second i check SMB forum....i am hooked

@Phillipp and karsten: I will help you in any questions you have as good i am able to do. just send me a PM
There are several ways to get a nice rig. I looked for all and took al chances i got. I also was looking for a 2wd and convert it afterwards. Ujoint will be the best way i think and i also was in contact with him. BTW a realy helpful and friendly guy!

A green sticker for the "Umweltzone" is possible (legal way!) for the 7.3. I saw a camper this weekend. It cost them about 2000.-EU for all Parts they need.
So if you realy need it....

Didi
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #16

thank you DiDi ... you have my PM!

but take your time.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 11-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #17

Some additional 4x4 E350 Owner in Germany- nice

For the import Topic I would suggest:
- go as low for the initial price as possible, as every $ will be at least an €. For cargo you must ad 20 instead of 10% tax + the usual 19%, careful with that.
- due to that I would not go and let it be done to 4x4 in the US as German Duane knows that this will ad value. Instead just put the equipment into the van/container. (Axles, Ujoint part if so, ARB, ...)
- Due to Emission standards be careful with the Bj.
- Better directly put the bigger wheels on the Van, especially the rims (as you might not get the correct information for TÜV afterwards or for $$)
- If you can choose between Quigley and leaf spring- probably for the leaf ones. Q are low and hard ride if stock.
- 7.3 PS is a great engine but partly over its real value, this ads costs. The 6.0 is a greater engine if checked correctly (better Turbo, more power, more mpg). I know I will note make friends with that. Injectors are expensive and need to be checked, as the turbo. the 6.0 needs a good oil quality as this also drives the injectors and they can overheat if they are not maintained. BUT the 6.0 in the Van Series has way less power is mostly in better conditions compared to the F Truck series.
- make a conclusion about diesel price vs. gas/LPG in order to you mileage! Especially regarding environment zone, additional costs in car-tax/a, and purchasing price in the US the 5.4 (LPG) can be a very good option. btw you can cook and heat with LPG also.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #18

hi Jack,

thanks for the good advice.

My thread is quite some weeks old. so things have develloped since then.

I found a van (E350 EB, SMB, 2008, 5.4, 90000 miles) in the US. Next week I will fly there to make the deal. Later it will be transformed to 4x4 and shipped to germany.

Adding value and thus having to pay toll and tax is a problem. but i think it is about the same having parts shipped separately!? I then have to pay toll and tax at least for the parts. Perhaps not on the work but then I have to pay the (more expensive) labor costs here in germany. In the end pretty much the same I guess.

As it is a SMB I have no issues with toll. (will be 10 %)

But you are right. Every $ will be even more than 1 EUR in the end.

Philipp
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #19

Re: AW: Question from germany: best way to get a 4x4 "SMB" ?

Great to hear things turn out good for you. At least to this part of the project.

I wish you a nice trip....
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #20

thank you. I will tell how it went on.

just visited your homepage. loads of information!
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia