Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Question on Starcool AC service

Hi All, thanks in advance for any advice. The knowledge here amazes me. I have recently purchased a SMB, 05. The AC works but after a while it does not cool as I would imagine it should. I took it to a shop who has never worked on a SMB while on a trip (has worked on other vehicles of mine in the past). They could not get the cooling to drop below a certain level (do not remember what it was), and suggested a compressor or seal kit, which would cost about $900+.

They added refrigerant but said it would not drop it enough to be to where the standard is...don't know what that means.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

Any advice would be appreciated.

jeepone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

Re: Question on Starcool AC service

I have an 07 with the Starcool and I need to have the Starcool on when the air is running as the dash unit will not cool properly if it is off. Something about the freon pooling in the starcool and not being able to circulate. Try this it may be the ticket.

Paul
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

There are a couple of modes the starcool works in so you probably need to be more specific on what mode they were testing it in. I will kind of assume that you are talking about running the Ford factory ac and the starcool while the engine is running. I had been told the same thing the last time mine was worked on. The most important thing is to make sure that the starcool is operating at the same time. I have also attached the documentation for starcool in case you do not have it.

The following is form a previous thread from John K. John use to work at SMB west and has provided a wealth of information.

"
For clarification on the Starcool switch/Starcool operation. It is good to have the Starcool Blower switch set to "low, med, or high", so that you can operate the Starcool Evaporator without getting out of the driver's seat using the "on/off" rocker switch being discusssed. I would not however, recommend leaving the Thermostat set to "cool" as you could inadvertently place the inverter in an overload condition, or restrict the flow of refrigerant to the dash Evaporator.

Remember that the Thermostat, when switched to "cool", will only control the 110volt Starcool compressor, the lower Starcool Condenser Fan, and the Starcool Solenoid valve. The Thermostat has nothing to do with operating the Starcool Evaporator while using the engine driven compressor. It is very important to have the Starcool Blower switched to at least "low" whenever operating the dash A/C so that proper refrigerant balance between the systems is maintained. If you forget to turn the Starcool Blower "on", you'll notice the temperature of the air coming out of the dash vents getting progressively warmer.

I have seen times when a Factory Ford fuse that is suppose to provide 12 volt "ignition on" power to the Starcool Relay Plate be bad, thereby allowing the Starcool Solenoid Valve to close whenever the Thermostat is set to "cool". If this happens, you will have no refrigerant going to the dash Evaporator and will not get any cooling out of the dash vents, but you will get cooling out of the Starcool Evaporator.

Also, if you leave the Thermostat set to "cool" you can overload the Inverter. Let's say you're using the inverter with the engine running and the Starcool is "on". If the Thermostat is set to "cool", then when you turn the engine "off", the Starcool Compressor will try to operate through the Inverter and most likely send it into an overload mode. This could be avoided if you turn the "on/off" rocker switch "off" first, but you may not always remember.

Jage, sorry for taking this to another level, but you know how I like to give as much info as possible. Please move it wherever you feel it needs to be.

John K.

"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starcool III Owners Manual.pdf (2.10 MB, 38 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Make sure they put the correct amount of freon in it. Mine takes 4.5lbs and anytime Ford works on it they put back what the stock amount the Ford book says. Not only have they stollen my freon, I must have another shop add the correct amount back

[edit] Have your guys also make sure the make sure the valve that connects the two systems is working. Mine went out once which cause it to run like the Starcool was off and I had to replace the valve.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Daveb - I'm hoping you can help me with my Starcool...
Similar to you... my solenoid valve gave out and I'm trying to find a replacement. Would you happen where you got yours or a part number?
Thanks!
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyt7 View Post
Daveb - I'm hoping you can help me with my Starcool...
Similar to you... my solenoid valve gave out and I'm trying to find a replacement. Would you happen where you got yours or a part number?
Thanks!
I can ask but there might be more wrong that that. Plus, I'm talking about what they built in 2006. I'll be over there tomorrow. PM me if you don't hear from me in a few days...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

I would expect that it would come from Danhard.
Does the one they have listed look like the correct one?

Danhard Inc. Valves-Electric and Vacuum

Good luck.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

Thank you both!!
No I hadn't gone to Danhard - but YES I think one of those will work.
dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote