Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #11

26 1/2 to 27......my canvas is pretty tight

Is it straightforward to disconnect the actuators? The roof will stay up ....the extension springs are holding it up. You will then be able to push it up further if there is any slot travel left for the rear crossbar lower pivot where it rides in the channel.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Easy test......put 2x4's in the corners and use the motors to let the roof down a little to unload the bars......they will straighten if they aren't bent.

..they look bent to me......if they aren't you need cro-mo sleeves...

...nothing on the roof??
Ha, First suggestion is priceless - As elementary as it is, sadly I wouldn't have thought to do that!

My bars are straight & sleeved but do contend with the weight of the Aluminess roof rack, Thule box, Solar panels & Lights - all about 160lbs...so I do have a slight bend as seen in the photos, consequently looks normal to me.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #13

I think Merlin's roof is bare.....talked to him on the phone yesterday.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #14

Yes, I don't have anything on my roof so sound like I'm missing about 3 inches of height? What are the steps I need to take? Not sure what disconnecting the actuators is I assume I would disconnect the pins from the ram then jack up the top until it's tight against the rear block and then attempt to straighten???
MerlinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinG View Post
Yes, I don't have anything on my roof so sound like I'm missing about 3 inches of height? What are the steps I need to take? Not sure what disconnecting the actuators is I assume I would disconnect the pins from the ram then jack up the top until it's tight against the rear block and then attempt to straighten???
I don't think disconnecting the actuators will make much difference when straightening...but it would allow you to get a feel for the roof without the actuators having a death-grip on the roof mech......things may move around a bit easier; you could likely see if you can raise the roof any higher just by pushing on it.

If the rear crossbar (at the rail) is at/near the end of it's travel in the slot in the channel, then your crossbars are bent...they appear to be bent from where I sit.

I've done spring adjustments on 2 power roofs, but not much else.....so can't speak from experience here.

Any long steel bar that has some "backbone" (has to be really stiff in one direction) should work to straighten with U-bolts......high-lift jacks have that property. The stiffness of any beam increases dramatically when you increase the height/thickness of the cross-section. I think it's cubed...ie to the 3rd power.

Jump on a 2x4 laid between two saw horses then put it on edge and jump again....huge difference.

Thinking out of the box a little bit......

If you remove the crossbars and re-install them flipped over it should be easy to straighten them with just the roof actuators. They'll start out bent in the "good" direction. Of course when you have them out you can likely straighten them with some wood blocks and a come-along, or many other ways...and sleeve them too.

Here's another hare-brained idea.......remove one (or both) of the blocks holding the crossbars to the roof then put a few ratchet straps and/or a come-along between them at the ceiling and pull them together. One problem with this idea is that you aren't pulling perpendicular to the bends....it will take lots of force to do much.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #16

Merlin: We are assuming that you've seen the thread where the member used the hi-lift jack to straighten the crossbars. If you haven't I remember that thread had some pictures...would be good info for you.

I can't remember who posted it but with a little searching I'm sure you can find it.
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #17

I have seen the high lift jack method but would like clarification on the process. I can get the straight edge and u bolts and attempt it but what are the steps? Do I need to unhook anything, does it matter what bar is bent and when, etc.? Should I jack up the roof to it's highest level before attempting, etc.?
Old 10-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinG View Post
I have seen the high lift jack method but would like clarification on the process. I can get the straight edge and u bolts and attempt it but what are the steps? Do I need to unhook anything, does it matter what bar is bent and when, etc.? Should I jack up the roof to it's highest level before attempting, etc.?
I've never straightened cross bars so no experience there. I don't think it matters much if the roof is all the way up etc. When the bars are straight, then roof will be higher.

I think the challenges are getting a bar that is stiff/strong enough and getting U-bolts that are long enough.

I would also put a block of metal or wood maybe 3/4"-1" think at the pivot location on your bars since they appear to be bent somewhat symmetrically about the pivot. That would allow you to "over-bend" the bars a bit so when you release tension they are straight.

Have you convinced yourself that they are bent?
2003 Honda Element
Old 10-12-2022, 07:17 PM   #19

When the top is up the bars visually, along with a straight edge, indicate they are not straight and the canvas has slack to it but I'm a newb so I can't be sure. I'll try to find the post with an electric top that had the center pipes at almost 90 degrees as a point of reference. Picked up some pipe and u bolts for the process and will post findings as I attempt to adjust.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #20

Still pondering this before I dive in and have a question...Do i need to jack / support the roof before attempting to straighten the tubes or is it done simply with the roof up as far as the motor will get it? My guess is that it would be easier if the roof was off the tubes but this is my first rodeo. If I do jack up the roof, any advice on where and what type of piece to use on the headliner? I was going to use a floor jack, a long 2x4 and another shorted 2x4 against the headliner but not sure if it's best for the 2x4 on the headliner to go front to back or side to side? I would also assume the jack point would be as close to center as I can get it?