Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Quick Starcool fan question

I'm looking for a sanity check from someone who has a Starcool setup. I just replaced both my external Starcool fans, the front one and the under-the-van one. I want to make sure I have them hooked up correctly. When standing in front of them, the fans are blowing out (breeze coming toward you), not in/over the condensers. Is that correct? Should the fans pull air through the condensers or blow over them?

Thanks...

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Re: Quick Starcool fan question

Bump... can anyone help with this? Just curious if you can feel the Starcool front fan blowing on you when stand in front of your grille.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

The front fan should blow through the condensor, front to back. Sounds like u have it on backwards. I'm pretty sure the one under the van should blow through as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
The front fan should blow through the condensor, front to back. Sounds like u have it on backwards. I'm pretty sure the one under the van should blow through as well.

* ADR6400L *
Thanks! Sounds like I have the polarity reversed, then. I matched up the originals, but maybe the new fans are wired differently.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

This is strange. Mine was doing the same on the front and now I'm gonna have to check the one under the driver seat. I reversed the front one.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Sorry, should have updated: I called SMB and, indeed, I had them hooked up wrong. The fans I got (Mr. Gasket) come set up to be mounted behind the radiator, not in front. For the Starcool setup, you need to 1) remove the fan blade and reverse it (small c-clip, it's easy) and 2) hook up the wires so that the blue "hot" actually goes to ground and the black "ground" goes to hot.

Both the front and underneath fans need to be setup this way.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

According to my AC mechanic the one under the driver seat should draw air through not push air through like the radiator fan. I'll discuss it with him in more depth. It will all depend if the fan has more power to draw or push. The one under the driver seat does not run while driving so it isn't affected by driving winds.
BTW he also said it's OK to just reverse polarity...the motor doesn't care but I'll check on that as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
BTW he also said it's OK to just reverse polarity...the motor doesn't care but I'll check on that as well.
Reversing polarity should be fine, it's just a DC motor. Flipping the fan blade is a good tip, I wouldn't have considered that it's probably directional.

Not having seen the system I think two things: 1) you don't want the fans fighting each other- if they run at the same time (ever) you want draw and push, not both pulling or pushing; you want flow over the radiator the direction doesn't matter as long as you're increasing it, with the exception of 2) you don't want to be pulling debris and dust into the radiator if possible.

Overall I'd listen to SMB on this one.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

If the front fan can grab more air depending on blade design, then I'll need to look into that.

The second fan is stand alone...has nothing to do with the stock A/C although both fans run while on shore power. I asked SMB about the debris being pulled into or pushed into the rear evaporator but was actually more worried about mud, dirt and rocks from the front tires doing damage or clogging the thing. SMB does install a mud flap but they advised me to spray the evaporator out on a regular basis. Also rocks can be thrown into the fan shroud and freeze up the motor; had it happen once already. I always look to see if it's spinning when I plug-in. If the shroud works like the engine radiator, I would think it should draw the air through. Being it only runs while parked, I don't think it's much of an issue... the motor will either push dust and what not in or pull it in and probably moot. Flow would be the key issue I'd think.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #10

Update: we've been using the AC and Starcool heavily for 1.5 weeks now as we travel around the southwest, and both are working well. The booster capacitor I put on seems to also make it a lot easier to start. I was even able to use the shore AC on my 15 amp outlet at home before we left with no issues. Previously it would always trip the breaker.