Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Quigly Owners: CAUTION !!!!

A recall safety notice with an expiration date is just silly and a questionable business decision. Quigley knows the open "c" channel radius arms were a design flaw and offered replacements (the round ones on our 2007 are a much stronger design). Quigley can't, in my mind, put a sunset clause on honoring that agreement. None of the major car manufacturer's do that. A factory recall notice applies to all eligible vehicles regardless of age or mileage. The majors don't want you suing them if something goes wrong with a part that has a documented or suspected safety issue.....

This "save a few pennies" strategy at the possible expense of a multi-million dollar lawsuit involving a part failure causing a horrific crash with personal injury or death doesn't make sense.

If you wanted to spend the time, a few phone calls to Quigley and Ford would probably get you a set of replacement radius arms shipped to your house free. I wouldn't be bashful about talking with them stressing how important it is to you (and your family if applicable) that Quigley make your van which was modified with Ford's blessing (as a factory approved up-fitter) safe to drive again.

I doubt Quigley will make you longer radius arms as custom really isn't their thing. You may have to look at 4x4 aftermarket parts for the F250/350 pickups with lift kits and longer arms. Quadvan uses the Ford pickup radius arms in their design so you can adapt pickup parts to the van.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #12

I agree that safety recalls don't "expire" in the real world. I'd suggest you go ahead and write a letter, certified mail, return receipt. Copy your attorney at the bottom (I don't charge clients just to receive a copy.) Consider copying this group or the yahoo group on the letter (might want to check with the mods first). Describe the situation. Tell them what you want in detail. Let us know how it works out.

Been my experience that old fashioned certified letters have a life of their own whereas phone calls and emails can evaporate.

They have a good reputation. I suspect they will do the right thing.

Good luck.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
3. For vehicles that do not qualify for replacement procedure #2 above and have less than 100,000 miles, Quigley will sell replacement arms at 30% off of current retail price of $130. ($91.00 each) This offer will expire August 31,2007. No labor charges will be covered.

8/24/2006 10:34 AM
There is so much information that companies push out through the tubes (back before we knew it was tubes even) that nobody ever reviews or probably remembers. My money is on expired web content. Maybe I should shoot them a resume!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #14

will send them one WTH
i deal with the corp world daily getting The Machine to do what they say
I have time for a letter, not hours and hours just trying to get to the right person on the phone
then only getting VM
Good money after bad
will post here results
bw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
I agree that safety recalls don't "expire" in the real world. I'd suggest you go ahead and write a letter, certified mail, return receipt. Copy your attorney at the bottom (I don't charge clients just to receive a copy.) Consider copying this group or the yahoo group on the letter (might want to check with the mods first). Describe the situation. Tell them what you want in detail. Let us know how it works out.

Been my experience that old fashioned certified letters have a life of their own whereas phone calls and emails can evaporate.

They have a good reputation. I suspect they will do the right thing.

Good luck.

Tom
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #15

I first heard about this issue in March 2005 (a few months before the date of the Quigley Service Bulletin) while on our Turtle Expedition trip to Mexico/Copper Canyon. Our torque arms were okay at that time but I checked them quite often since I wanted to replace them as a matter of safety. I found a crack in one of them in October 2006 at about 66,400 miles. Although only one arm had a crack, I told Quigley that all four were bad and they sold all of them for the $91 each.

I suspect that the "deadline" for replacing the torque arms is not really a deadline...note that it is 1 year from the date of the bulletin.

While it is easy to consider this a "design flaw", I remember a conversation with I think Alan Feld of SMB West many years ago (before this issue came up) about the limitations Ford puts on Quigley. Unlike SMB and their 4x4 conversion, Quigley works directly with the Ford factory and converts vehicles before they are shipped to Ford dealers. Ford is thus very concerned about safety issues and one of these issues is collision protection. Ford wants to make sure that the 4x4 conversions do not compromise the "crumple zone" protection of the driver. The original use of U-shaped torque arms thus might have been a concession to Ford...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #16

So is it $91 per side, or $91 per bar. One is 200 like BW stated, other is 400. By the time quigley adds thier s&h your looking at 500.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #17

It is $91 per arm plus about $11 for some special nuts and $32 for shipping and handling. Our total was $412.24 in October 2006 for all four arms. Shipping might have gone up slightly since then but seems reasonable for the size and weight of the pieces.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #18

Wilson (my rig)
is at SMB fresno as I type

cost for quigly

$319 in parts
$320 in labor

supposed to be upper and lower, therefore Four arms
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #19

I just received my front end package from Quigley. 4 Torque arms and hardware along with new track bar bushings. The new torque bars are much more stout than previous. They were nice enough to give me a discount. The final bill was $517 delivered.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to susswein

I agree that putting a limited deadline on a factory recall notice is insane. Has anyone been successful in getting Quigley to replace the parts for free?

Steve
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote