Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #1

Quigly Owners: CAUTION !!!!

Just too my SMB to fresno for some work

Ford E350 EB 2001 with Quigly

The front torque arms had cracks in one!

There are FOUR of them that were supposed to be replaced with
round ones

The old ones where a U chanel type arm

Easy bolt on/off solution from Quigly

Best you crawl under and ck it out

bw

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #2

Re: Quigly Owners: CAUTION !!!!

So does this mean quigley will send you the new ones?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
So does this mean quigley will send you the new ones?
No, talked to them, the "service bulletin" expired quite some time ago

will give you a 20% discount ....

FWIW
my rig only had 30,000 miles
very little off road from PO

still had cracks........

not being an alarmest here, may have been covered elsewhere
however i have spent a lot of time here and elsewere and never heard of this issue
Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

here is a cut and past of the orginal svc bullitan

100 Sunset Drive
Manchester PA 17345

Phone 717.266.5631
Fax 717.266.6248
Watts 1.800.233.9358
email info@quigley4x4.com

Thursday, August 24, 2006
TORQUE ARM INSPECTION AND REPLACEMENT SERVICE BULLETIN 06-1
AFFECTED VEHICLES
1996 TO 2003 (Converted to 4x4 by Quigley before January 31,2003) Ford Econoline vehicles with open
C channel design Torque Arms.
ISSUE
Some high mileage and /or severe service Quigley 4x4 E series vehicles may develop cracks in the front suspension torque arms.

1. Vehicles that are operated infrequently off-road, with the original equipment Ford Motor Co. specified tire size and within the Ford Motor Co. maximum weight rating, should typically expect to see in excess of
100,000 miles without cracks developing in torque arms.

2. Vehicles that are used primarily (in excess of 50% of operating time or mileage) in off-road commercial service may develop cracks within the normal 3year/36,000 mile warranty.

ACTION
If your vehicle falls within the operating conditions of application #1 above it is Quigley Motor Co.’s recommendation that your vehicle’s mechanical condition be inspected for damage and normal service
wear at least once a year. A Ford dealer or a qualified automotive service/repair facility should perform this inspection. Many states already require this type of safety inspection for all vehicles.

If your vehicle’s operating conditions fall outside of category #1 above, this inspection should be performed more frequently and at minimum every 6 months as required by Ford for oil change intervals.

Note; Cracks in the black powder coat finish will eventually develop and are considered normal. If the coating chips off, it is suggested that the bare area be covered with a rust preventive paint or undercoating.

If a crack is discovered in the torque arm that is less than ½” in length you should make arrangements to have the torque arm replaced as soon as possible and within 500 miles. Replacement should be performed before the vehicle is subjected to any severe off-road operation.

If a crack is discovered that is longer than ½” in length, the arm should be replaced immediately. In an emergency situation only, as a temporary repair, a crack that is less than 2” can be welded, but such repair
is not recommended by Quigley and cost of repair will not be reimbursed by Quigley.

REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
1. Contact Quigley Motor Co. Customer Service Department to verify that this Service Bulletin covers your vehicle.
2. For vehicles within the 3 year/ 36,000 mile, Category #1 operation description, full reimbursement for repairs will be made after receipt of cracked arm at Quigley Motor Co., Inc., excluding any arm that
was modified, or damaged by collision, improper jacking or contact with road / off-road hazard.
3. For vehicles that do not qualify for replacement procedure #2 above and have less than 100,000 miles, Quigley will sell replacement arms at 30% off of current retail price of $130. ($91.00 each) This offer will expire August 31,2007. No labor charges will be covered.

8/24/2006 10:34 AM
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Team

A vehicle safety issue has an expiration? Wow. I wonder how much even one lawsuit would cost them?

Good posting.

Herb
Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
A vehicle safety issue has an expiration? Wow. I wonder how much even one lawsuit would cost them?

Good posting.

Herb
I just got a recall from Dodge on my truck. Something with the steering. They will inspect it and IF it is cracked/ needs replacing they will do it. So if it is still working they will leave it so it can break later. I think they will be taking it out either way!

I was taking to deaver about making me some new coil springs for the front. Now if I have to replace the torque bars it would probably be smart to replace with longer, so that I could have taller springs made. Does anyone have a line on some aftermarket torque bars?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #7

Bill if possible can you bring back the ones that were replaced? They would be helpful in getting something made since they will be off the vehicle.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
Bill if possible can you bring back the ones that were replaced? They would be helpful in getting something made since they will be off the vehicle.

Thanks
Mike
will try
however at $200 for all 4 from Quigly, might not be worth it
Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #9

200 for all four is fair. I will be contacting to replace. I would still like to look into going taller in the front. If I am spending money I like to put to upgrades instead of stock. Maybe quigley will make them longer?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Are the Quigley torque arms the same as radius arms?

When going to the suspension lift I now have on my Bronco (4.5"), I also went with extended radius arms, which increased the vehicle stability and handling. If extended arms are available (provided that torque arms are the same as radius arms), I recommend you look into them.

Herb