Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #21

If you are careful getting the pins out you can reuse. I have done 4 or 5 tops now and never had to buy any.

Having the top off the van and down lower (I use sawhorses) makes spraying consistently over the top pretty easy. I've been able to get it uniform. Sportsmobile tops are actually pretty easy to remove. A second person is only needed to actually walk the top off the van which we have done through the rear door.

I'm still curious which rollers are best for rolling Raptor Liner. Monstaliner sells rollers which supposedly give you the proper texture but I'm wondering if one of the many types of rollers from a local paint store (or Lowe's, HD, etc.) would work as well.

Brian, please post that roller link.

Railvan, which roller did you use that did not give you the texture you wanted?

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #22

So I just sprayed a PH top with white. One thing to think about. The van is a 1994 so it’s a drastic difference in color between clean new white and 1994 oxidation. In hindsight I would have sprayed it black and then sprayed the rockers to add some contrast to it.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #23

Rollers: These, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Most recently I have been cutting these in half on my chop saw,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Raptor kit,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
From what I have seen the "roll on" kits (I have bought them too) don't come in the spray gun threaded bottles, they come in metal cans. I have also seen two different thread types on the tops of the spray bottles. Sucks when you go to put your gun on a mixed bottle and it doesn't fit.
I used 6 liters
Edit, the roof of the van, over the cab was rolled on with roll on black. You can see very faint lap marks in this light.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
thanks all for the advice! i'm gonna go with white! and with raptor liner roll on.

@Brian, that's the exact info i'm looking for. To be able to roll on the white would be perfect because i'm in an HOA and everything that goes along with that. couple of questions:

1. which raptor kit did you order if you tint separately (don't need the tint)
2. how many liters to do the top, i'm thinking 6?
3. is the ford tint you ordered the sherwin williams product?
4. yes link to the rollers would be helpful.

@brian, thanks again for the info. i'm glad to hear about your experience of spray vs roll because i was wondering that as well. rolling will be so much easier for me to accomplish (even though i do have a great compressor).

i'll document the process including the filling of the holes and the painting.
Get plenty of rollers, they tend to disintegrate from the heavy product, going to fast, and "drying", always leave a "wet edge".
Yes, I edited the info, I used oxford white and Dark shadow grey metallic. I just went to my local Sherwin Williams auto paint supply and asked for those colors in the Dimension labeled tint.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #25

White would be cooler
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #26

Use Monstaliner. Great stuff, and you can roll on any color. In fact, with mixing you could do anything from black to white to gray to lime green to pink. I did mine, and I think some others here may have as well (boring white, sad to say). Doing a roller job with it is pretty easy (it's urethane I believe, so watch pot life in humidity) if you do a good prep and prime it. And rolling produces a nice texture.

Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior
Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #27

I second the monstaliner recommendation. I have used it on 4 vans now and it's a great product. I would do a top with it if I needed to.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #28

I just made my order.

I ran into the same problem. I found T-Rex line just ordered th 8qt roll on kit. Reviews seem good, hopefully can report back end of next week!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LBEHXEY
Urbanoverlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #29

The black does look good, however I used to overland with a black S10 and I can tell you when it was in the desert I could tell a lot of heat gain from the roof. I ended up getting a bed tent to where I could open the rear and it would cover the black roof of my topper to help reduce some of the overheating in the morning.
NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #30

Despite the double stuffed Oreo appearance I do like the black topper, but if I were painting it I would do black on the sides for the looks and white on the top for not turning the rig into a solar oven.

Good discussions on the different paint options, I'm looking at putting on solar in the next month or two, so maybe I should paint the top before install or maybe after I put in the roof fan so I can have a durable long term surface afterwards.