Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #101

I would mount your tracks first and then tape them off. Otherwise you won't get a good flush mount. As for the hardware, definitely don't just spray over it. I have sprayed over the big washers but I put some old bolts in the holes while I did the job. Then reinstall your hardware. I have lots of pics of this buried in my Rusty build/rebuild thread. I'll try to find them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #102

I removed the tracks when I raptor lined mine. The feet slide down the tracks and any added material would hamper that movement without more effort and really loosing the Allen screw. I also used a tiny bit of silicone in each screw hole for the rails to keep water out from the fiberglass. I also used stainless steel hardware. Not sure what they come with new.

For the bolt holes I used golf tees with tape to keep the holes open.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmobile View Post
Just ordered racks - thule 60" track system & about to order the raptor kit.

Any thoughts on whether or not to raptor line the top, then install the rack system tracks; or install the rack system tracks & raptor line over the the tracks taping off the track's access screws? My concern is weather the raptor texture compared to the factory roof top texture had any adverse affect on the rack tracks remaining solid.

Also - has anyone simply raptored over all the hardware? I saw one post on this but not comments.

Thanks
I would think that you are onto something there with the texture causing problems for the tracks to lay down nice. For what its worth I found taping the tracks off to be very easy. After the liner was cured the blue painters tape came off with ease. If it were me, I would install the tracks, then do the spray. Maybe someone has done it the other way and can give feedback.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #104

I have a brand new top with raptor liner on it and all the T-nuts are sealed with butyl. I think I would do the same when installing the rack over the texture.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #105

Thanks to all. Nrobert10 & Flux, are you saying that you ended up installing or reinstalling the rack tracks over the raptor liner, or even drilling the rack track holes and taping off the holes before the raptor application?
surfmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #106

great, great info in this thread. I am hopefully bringing home a penthouse top this weekend and plan to raptor line it. Seems like doing this with it off will make it even easier.

At first I was going to do black, but think I will go with some tintable stuff, 8 bottles to be sure, since I want to do more than just the top.

My current roof looks bad, no rust, but it is 20 years old after all. no one has shared doing the roof part that is not cutout. I presume I should do this before I put the top on, but I dont want to mess with the seal with the canvas. Any thoughts?

I am also attempting to do this without ever seeing the interface between the penthouse and roof of the van in person, so any tips would be great. Going to ask sportsmobile for some tape, but am thinking maybe its better to spray the top and install it, then tape up the rest of the van and spray it. Thoughts?

Current state of my roof, to forever be changed in the not so distant future!

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #107

Another question. Do any of you remember how you cleaned the surface of the penthouse after sanding?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #108

Compound and polish? Unless of course that's peeling clear coat.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #109

Hmmm. Before spraying raptor liner? Was thinking either some paint thinner or isopropyl alcholhol.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Another question. Do any of you remember how you cleaned the surface of the penthouse after sanding?
I painted a white PH with typical solvent based automotive paint (base coat/clear coat). I used acetone to wipe the roof after sanding and before painting. I ended up with a number of fish eyes in the finish likely due to the mold release used when the top was made. Keep any silicone away from the roof...

I put the PH on saw horses and tucked the canvas under the top and covered the canvas with painters plastic as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote