Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Yep, I needed to use a ratchet strap to align the front bolt hole on one side and I'm using all the other methods you mentioned. I'll get back to it tomorrow probably. Been a busy last few days on non van stuff.
When I install new springs, I install the front and rear bolts first, then raise up the axle to line up the center pin into the spring pad and ratchet strap the axle forward or back as needed. That way I don't have to manipulate the entire axle around to line up the bolts.

I have the same Energy suspension bump stops, and they are great, so much better than the hard rubber stock ones. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I'm curious where yours land when bottomed out? I welded a set of spring pads on my axle tube as a place for them to land. Prior to that, they landed on the round axle tube and very quickly split, probably because they didn't land dead center.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4782.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
When I install new springs, I install the front and rear bolts first, then raise up the axle to line up the center pin into the spring pad and ratchet strap the axle forward or back as needed. That way I don't have to manipulate the entire axle around to line up the bolts.

I have the same Energy suspension bump stops, and they are great, so much better than the hard rubber stock ones. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I'm curious where yours land when bottomed out? I welded a set of spring pads on my axle tube as a place for them to land. Prior to that, they landed on the round axle tube and very quickly split, probably because they didn't land dead center.
That would have been easier but I didn't want to mess with the u-bolts as I probably would have had to have new ones made.

I got it all together in a couple hours this afternoon. It turns out that there was some metal burrs in the frame mounted bracket that the shackle goes into and the bushing was getting hung up on it. I cleaned them up, greased well and it slid together fairly easy. I took apart the other side just to see if it had the same and it was in pretty good shape.

I also welded new landing pads on my axle. Here are a few pictures. One is of the old setup with u-bolt mounted landing pad that Deaver put together (I had already removed the nuts in the picture if you are wondering) then what I have now. What a world of difference with these bump stops over the old stock ones! Can't wait to feel if there is a similar difference up front.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210104_193547706.jpg   PXL_20210108_234354590.jpg   PXL_20210108_234409130.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #23

I also welded new landing pads on my axle. Here are a few pictures. One is of the old setup with u-bolt mounted landing pad that Deaver put together (I had already removed the nuts in the picture if you are wondering) then what I have now. What a world of difference with these bump stops over the old stock ones! Can't wait to feel if there is a similar difference up front.[/QUOTE]

Your setup looks good. How did you calculate how far the axle could travel before wanting the bumps to stop it? I guessed that they would compress about two inches, but it’s just a guess. I’ve taken some good hits, but a zip tie shows that the shocks are not bottoming out, so I think I’m good. I’ve got the shorter ones in front, and they work as well, but they land on the top of the unbolt plate and don’t hit quite in the center, so they are getting a bit torn up.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #24

Garage
just an FYI after reading the thread...

anyone with a lifted van (6-inch or greater) and taller tires may wish to consider buying a set of these style jack stands

we used to use 6-ton jack stands on concrete or wood and these are game changers.

wouldn't buy the jegs version with the open tube at the base as they dig into asphalt quite easily.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Your setup looks good. How did you calculate how far the axle could travel before wanting the bumps to stop it? I guessed that they would compress about two inches, but it’s just a guess. I’ve taken some good hits, but a zip tie shows that the shocks are not bottoming out, so I think I’m good. I’ve got the shorter ones in front, and they work as well, but they land on the top of the unbolt plate and don’t hit quite in the center, so they are getting a bit torn up.
I took a lot of measurements and compressed one of the bump stops with the weight of the van and a jack to see how much they compress. I gave myself quite a bit more up travel with that project and have not bottomed out the shocks even with some aggressive Baja driving. I don't recall what all the numbers worked out to right off.

Up front I did some heavy modification to some new spring plates from SMB since over the years the shock mounts on both sides had broken off and been re-welded. For bump stop landing pad I shortened up the stock SMB similar to what Deaver had done but made plates that bolt to the top of the shortened landing pad that are wider and will give the bump stop a full landing pad to hit. Kind of hard to explain but I'll take some pics later and post. Again, haven't even driven it yet since I did this as I'm waiting on some front hub parts, but that's a different story ...

Old 01-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
just an FYI after reading the thread...

anyone with a lifted van (6-inch or greater) and taller tires may wish to consider buying a set of these style jack stands

we used to use 6-ton jack stands on concrete or wood and these are game changers.

wouldn't buy the jegs version with the open tube at the base as they dig into asphalt quite easily.
Yep, I'd like to have a set of those. I made some solid wood blocks to raise my "standard" 6 ton stands that were very stable, just not as elegant of solution as those. You can see in my ratchet strap picture earlier in this thread.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:40 AM   #27

I've got a set of those jack stands in the medium height....about 18-19" at the lowest setting (the ones above are the "talls") and they work great.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #28

Although we've gotten a bit off topic from spring bushings, here's what I did with the 3" Daystar bump stops up front and the landing pad. I cut up and modified some new SMB spring plates with shorter landing pad height, drilled and tapped a couple holes on top of each then once the plate is installed I can add the larger landing pad over top of the inner U-bolts. Now the bump stops will have full engagement when they land. I welded an additional support under the top plate so they won't (shouldn't) bend under the stress of repeated beatings.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220126_234846403.jpg   PXL_20220126_234813627.jpg