Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 10:45 AM   #1

Rear leaf spring bushings

2005 E350 with SMB 4x4 & Deaver Suspension

Originally had Deaver suspension installed at 40K miles on 3/2009. Deaver did a refresh (bushings and slides between individual leafs) at 81K miles on 1/2016. While doing an underside front to back inspection yesterday I noticed that the front bushings on the rear leaf packs are shot again. Now at 127K miles. Bushings have been the "standard" black rubber type. Can anyone recommend something that may last longer? I've used a local big truck suspension place for labor before when I snapped a spring pack center pin and will probably just head over to them to do the work for this.

Appreciate any recommendations for front bushing of rear spring packs.

Thanks!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #2

Out of curiosity, what type of bushings have you had fail? Types/photos here:

https://www.truckspring.com/suspensi.../bushings.aspx

When I installed my Alcan springs, the Type 1 bushings it came with failed in really short order (4 months / 2570mi!).

I replaced them with Type 3 bushings from Moog. So far so good, but they've only been on there about 6 months so far.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what type of bushings have you had fail?
I have no idea. It's whatever Deaver put in. I would like to think they use good quality bushings. My van is quite heavy and with all the Baja & Death Valley off-roading (and wash board roads) plus a drive down to Guatemala when I was very heavy are sure to take a toll on even the good stuff.

I'll grab a photo and post but mine tend to fail with the spring eye going to the inside of the van. Both sides now have the spring eye (front of the rear springs) rubbing on the metal bracket. The rear bushings of the rear springs on both side of the hanger don't look too bad. Front spring bushings are still original from initial install by Deaver and in decent condition.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #4

Garage
poly!

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts....g-bushings.asp

https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...g-bushings.asp

I think prothane was purchased by energy suspension or vice-versa!?! they have the exact same website + contact info.

https://p-s-t.com/c-1176326-suspensi...shing-set.html

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...pring-bushings

this website has some cool pseudo-scientific stuff about bushing lubricants (use what the manufacturer provides!!!) - https://www.suspension.com/blog/the-...hane-bushings/

and a forum link that shows how to replace them - https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post299415
Old 01-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks Chris. I had already started looking at the Energy Suspension bushings.

Another possibly stupid question, does anyone know for a fact that if I order bushing for a 2005 E350 Super Duty that they will fit the Deaver Springs? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but just a guess.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
T
Another possibly stupid question, does anyone know for a fact that if I order bushing for a 2005 E350 Super Duty that they will fit the Deaver Springs? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but just a guess.
Short answer is, rear yes, front I don't think so.

I am a 2005 SMB build with Deaver Springs. Not sure if you were around, I thought you were, back when I did the Sulastic Shackle experiment, it didn't work out. As part of that I replaced all the bushings to the Energy Suspension urithane bushings. My memory is that the E350 Super Duty "kit" did fit the rear, but the front was a collection of parts form two kits that were from trucks. I would have to look through my old posts to see if I can figure out part numbers. In the end I ended up fabing up some solid shackles that convert the SMB and Deaver ends to an off the shelf F350 Energy Suspension kit.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Short answer is, rear yes
Thanks Eric!

Old 01-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #8

Ordered up the Energy Suspension bushings.

Here's photos of passenger and driver side rear spring front mounts. Can see both springs have "slid" to the inside of the van. Not sure what exactly is causing them to want to be that way. I have a FF D70 axle I put in quite a while ago but the perches were the same spacing as the original axle. Hmmmm ....
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220113_234617351.jpg   PXL_20220113_234452286.jpg  

Old 01-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #9

Thanks for posting the photos Phil. My rear springs have always done the same thing and now I know I'm not the only one. My drinker side seems to want to be inboard the center line more than the captain side. When I changed out the bushings I noticed the spring was rubbing a wear spot on the frame from the inward pressure. Now with the urethane bushings the elastic flange cushions the pinch point. It doesn't seem to be enough pressure to cut the urethane though so I haven't worried about it. For reference I have the semi-float axle original to the van.

Oh, final thought, I used a generous amount of Energy Suspensions silicon grease upon install. Probably could get an equivalent elsewhere. That stuff is a bitch to wash off, I use gloves, but I haven't has any of the squeaks the car guys talk about. It is still in there years later despite driving in snow, road salt, and the pressure washer.

Hope your new bushings work out for you as it was noticeably quieter and less jarring for me. I'll never go back.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:25 AM   #10

Likewise Eric, I'm glad to know mine isn't the only one doing that and good to know that the flange holds up as a cushion.

Did you buy extra silicon grease or did they come supplied with enough to apply a generous amount?

I'm going to make a DV run sometime soon and want to get this addressed before I go. Hoping for a noticeable ride improvement between this and my front bump stop project.