Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The butyl tape was easy and not messy at all IMO. Fits perfectly in the channel in the window frame.
I am leaning toward going with the butyl. I like the way you slowly compress it into position. Where RTV looks like it will seal great, the consistency I have used in the past -it was not Permatex, is thin to the point that it will fill a void, but not occupy a space until forced to spread out by pressure. Is the Permatex thick enough to hold a bead shape until forced to flatten, or does it flow more than that? They both should remain flexible essentially forever.

Great How-To BrianW!!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #22

Thanks! :-)

I highly recommend adding the screens when you install the windows. Easier to do it all at the same time. See the link in the window install thread to my screen mod. Pretty easy to do.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! :-)

I highly recommend adding the screens when you install the windows. Easier to do it all at the same time. See the link in the window install thread to my screen mod. Pretty easy to do.
I was planning on it.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 AM   #24

Garage
I used permatex and thought it held a bead quite well. I didn't have any issues with any of it trying to run away from me.

I definitely wish I would have done the screen mod at the same time.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #25

Garage
One thing though regarding the screens.
I LOVE using the window cut outs with a suction cup for privacy at night. With the screen I cannot use the suction cup to hold the cut out to the window.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post139436
A slot will have to be cut into the bottom of the cut out to straddle the latching mechanism. Will this keep the cut out against the glass well enough? I really don't like the shades in the rear and side windows...
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #26

I have Reflectix cut for my rear doors (with screens) and they stay in pretty well. I did cut a slot to fit around the latch.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #27

So maybe this is why you SoCal guys can't find any pop-out windows at the junkyards: somebody in Glendale has been selling a bunch of them on Ebay and has probably been scouring the yards for them:

eBay Feedback Profile for gzhottt21

At $160 a set, maybe I should start collecting and selling them, too. Curious to how he packs and ships them, though. That's what has always put me off.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #28

Quote:
So maybe this is why you SoCal guys can't find any pop-out windows at the junkyards: somebody in Glendale has been selling a bunch of them on Ebay and has probably been scouring the yards for them:

eBay Feedback Profile for gzhottt21

At $160 a set, maybe I should start collecting and selling them, too. Curious to how he packs and ships them, though. That's what has always put me off.
I actually just bought and installed a set from the glendale guy today. Was actually pleasantly surprised with their arrival. Box was in good shape. Tons of bubble wrap. All hardware was accounted for and bagged. Even came with foam adhesive tape. Windows had a couple scratches (as described on eBay) and as expected for used.

I bought a tube of windshield adhesive which I squirted onto 1 window then changed my mind and cleaned off. I opted to use the supplied foam tape due to my idea for screens

Reading a post from another member about his screen idea I knew I wanted to screen it but was worried about bugs getting into the area around the latch so I actually stretched the screen across the mounting studs on the window before installation. I removed the bottom button post that the latch mounts to and ran it through the screen. I left a little slack at the bottom of the screen so the window could open.

I was a little worried that the screen would tear at some point and Id have to scrape all that sealant to redo is the reason I opted for the foam tape. At worst if it leaks, I remove it with no mess to clean and use sealant. I might opt for the solar screen next time because it is stronger.

I will be driving it this week with potential rain so I will post back how the tape worked

I am terrible at taking pics along the way but here is 1 showing the window closed and the slack of the screen which really isn't much
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4661.JPG  
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #29

Hey BrianW - do you still have a set of pop-outs you'd like to sell? I know you offered in the past but now I realize how valuable they'd be (especially sleeping in the rain) I'd be interested in rear and/or side windows. We still have to meet up either way!
Thanks.
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin View Post
Hey BrianW - do you still have a set of pop-outs you'd like to sell? I know you offered in the past but now I realize how valuable they'd be (especially sleeping in the rain) I'd be interested in rear and/or side windows. We still have to meet up either way!
Thanks.
No, sorry, I haven't had a set for a while. If I come across any locally I'll let you know or grab them for you.