Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
So maybe this is why you SoCal guys can't find any pop-out windows at the junkyards: somebody in Glendale has been selling a bunch of them on Ebay and has probably been scouring the yards for them:

eBay Feedback Profile for gzhottt21

At $160 a set, maybe I should start collecting and selling them, too. Curious to how he packs and ships them, though. That's what has always put me off.
If that's for the front 40 and two rears all cleaned up and ready to go, I don't think that price is too bad. I got mine from a junkyard for around 150 all said and done (including the matching front 60) and still had to do all the cleanup which felt like an eternity. Oh and that also involved scraping a giant sticker of a kitchen mural off one of the them... I wish I had gotten a picture of it...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #32

Garage
Mini-Hijack.
Oh by the way BrianW. On our run through Philly this last summer it wasn't Pat's or Geno's, but Jim's that ruled the roost!! What do you think?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #33

Pats and Jim's gets my vote- Geno's is a tourist trap.
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #34

Jim's is good, but Dalessandro's is really the best, though, IMO. http://dalessandros.com/

Pat's and Geno's are total tourist traps and are only worth it for the neon.

We're talking about cheesesteaks, for the uninitiated.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Jim's is good, but Dalessandro's is really the best, though, IMO. Dalessandro's Steaks and Hoagies. Philadelphia, PA

Pat's and Geno's are total tourist traps and are only worth it for the neon.

We're talking about cheesesteaks, for the uninitiated.
Well, the next time I am in the city of Brotherly Love, I will stop in at Dalessandro's for a chew. LOVE me some real Philly Cheesesteak goodness! And yes, Provolone over whiz!

Mini-Hijack Off
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #36

Garage
I am getting ready to do this thing.
The only issue I have now is finding the right glass for the 40 window on the hinged doors. I ordered the three pieces from a great local glass shop and the 40 window has a lighter tint than the others. On my van now, the fixed 40 window, which is a Carlite OEM window is the same, lighter than the moveable 60 window next to it. It has always bugged me just a bit. The glass guy said that the only movable 40 window glass he can find is the same, made by Carlite and called privacy glass, just not as dark as everyone else makes. The frame I have from the yard has pretty good green glass in it and I will probably install it, and look for the best replacement I can find.

Has anyone found 3-hole movable, 40 window replacement glass with a dark tint, not made by Carlite?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #37

Man, I did the 40 door pop out window change on our 2003 V10 passenger van.

The van came with the factory dark slight bronze tint. The 40 window I had was also dark tint but slightly off. Maybe a bit more mirroring, or something. It was not readily apparent by holding the window up to the factory tinted windows the van came with. I spoke to a tint place and they said because the type of tint, it could not be matched. It was annoying enough that after about a year I put the fixed window back in, I was really glad I had kept that.

The rear door windows are not so critical if they are not exactly the same, but close. There is no direct side by side comparison like there is on the side doors.

But that 40 door window? My suggestion is test fit the new pop out and visually make sure you are really happy with the tint on the 40 compared to the 60. If it is a little different and noticeable and it tweaks you just a bit now - ????later???. Cleaning off the butyl is a pita.

While the 40 pop out was in, I really did not find it added much to the ventilation. The 60 door pop out window was quite sufficient. Just my two cents from direct experience.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #38

Agreed, I wouldn't bother with the 40 window. As long as you have the 60 you're getting 90% of the benefit.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I work with Ford daily; my experiences suggest the pop out windows were cut from the platform for cost cutting or supplier related issues. I haven't heard of a documented case relating their function to deaths, but it wouldn't be surprising. OEMs work hard to keep those incidents quiet.

Scott
GM and Dodge both added stickers to the rear pop out windows and to the dash warning about driving with them open. I don't remember when the stickers first appeared, but it was about the same time Ford stopped that option. Dodge kept with them until they stopped making vans. I'm not sure when GM stopped.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #40

Garage
Thanks guys, I was not really motivated by the 40 window from the start, but the donor had one so I nabbed it. I will probably just put that one on hold for a while. The lighter fixed glass still bugs me and will with either application.

On the lookout for darker 40 door glass, fixed or movable, "I gotsta know!"
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD