Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #41

Counter intuitive but you want to look for clear / no tint. Then you can get a tinting place to very closely mat h.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #42

Update

Took the van out for a week in Moab/zion/St George and was very pleased with the pop outs. We didn't get any rain but had no noise coming from the windows so Im assuming the foam tape worked. If ever the screen rips I can replace it in about an hour for both windows without having to clean and reseal.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #43

Garage
I put the pop-out windows in on Tuesday. They came out very well. I much prefer the new darker tint glass and I also did the screen mod while I had all the trim removed. The stuff under the trim needed a pretty good cleaning anyway. Lots of dust in and around the rear windows. Looking forward to a more ventilated summer!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #44

Stopped by the Pick n Pull and got rear barn door pop out windows. Also got the hardware for the two side door windows. Now I just need to find the glass for the side doors. The glass on the donor van side doors was busted out.

Anyone know of a good way to remove paint from glass? The donor was a stealth camper with the windows spray painted black on the inside.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #45

^A heat gun and razor scraper, maybe? Just don't get the glass too hot. Just enough to soften the paint for scraping.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
^A heat gun and razor scraper, maybe? Just don't get the glass too hot. Just enough to soften the paint for scraping.
Will that mess w tint?
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #47

That is what I am concerned about too. I figured a razor blade would do the job but do not want to damage the tint. Will check to see if the tint is a film layer or in the glass.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #48

Goof Off will remove the paint but may melt the tint too if you aren't quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #49

Did some careful scraping today with a razor blade. The windows are clear except for the factory darkening around the edges. Once I get them cleaned up will have them tinted to match the rest of the windows.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #50

Has anybody added the pop outs to a van that wasnt equipped with windows at all? Ours is a full panel van (no windows) and I want to add some glass.

Might be odd, but I think I only want to glass one side, leaving the other windowless.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote