Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

Re: Rear wheel spacers

So CorrectTrack is out of business?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
How does spacing the wheels further out improve the ride?

Excellent question!!!!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

It helped the ride in a few ways. One is that the wider width puts more leverage on the springs. Basically if the wheel moved about 4" the spring would move 2 but if the wheel is out on a longer lever then the spring will move less with the same 4" of wheel movment. The other is that the van is more stable with the extra width keeping it from rocking or swaying side to side. That effects the front and the rear. The last and probabley best is the tires now track in the same groove. If the front end hits a crack in the road the rear does as well. When they are uneven the front rides in one track and the rear someplace else causing all kinds of weird things especially at interstate speed. On mine I have an F-350 front and an E350 rear. They were a few inches different in width and my van was all over the road because of it. The wheel spacer got that width a lot closer to being equal and it made it ride and drive a lot easier, smoother and safer. All those little forces add up to a whole lot on a heavy rig going 75mph. It's also less tipsy and more stable off road so for that alone they are worth getting. The best ones are sold by U-joint. Get them if your van is set up like mine was. Money well spent because you will feel them every time you drive and will be safer.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote