Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Reduced my ECT/EOT delta

My van has run 6-8 degrees delta between water temp and oil temp since I got my ScanGauge.

I recently added an AMSOIL dual remote oil filter setup to my van, and my delta's dropped to 1-3 degrees. This was in cool (60's - 70's) weather. I can only surmise the two metal oil filters are cooling the oil somewhat. BTW, I'm running the same Rotella T6 synthetic I was running before the dual filter setup.

Later this month I leave on a cross country trip, the weather will be warmer to hot and I will see if that makes a difference on my deltas.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Re: Reduced my ECT/EOT delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
My van has run 6-8 degrees delta between water temp and oil temp since I got my ScanGauge.

I recently added an AMSOIL dual remote oil filter setup to my van, and my delta's dropped to 1-3 degrees. This was in cool (60's - 70's) weather. I can only surmise the two metal oil filters are cooling the oil somewhat. BTW, I'm running the same Rotella T6 synthetic I was running before the dual filter setup.

Later this month I leave on a cross country trip, the weather will be warmer to hot and I will see if that makes a difference on my deltas.

Mike
FWIW, I've got the SMB installed amsoil dual filter system and get similar results on the ECT/EOT delta.

When cool, the delta is very close, often 1-3deg as you experienced.

When hot (i.e., 80-100deg), the delta is usually the 4-8deg, averaging about 6.

IMHO, the main advantage of the amsoil dual filter system are the longer drain intervals. I typically replace oil/filters at 10,000 to 12,000 intervals.

R
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Garage

Anyone consider adding a heat sink to the oil filters? Think it would make a difference? I don't see many commerically available options so my guess it would be negligible.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Anyone consider adding a heat sink to the oil filters? Think it would make a difference? I don't see many commerically available options so my guess it would be negligible.
1. is there really that much heat loss through the filters?
2. is EOT really that important to drop by a few degrees?

I mean if you really want your ECT to match your EOT couldn't you put cardboard on the radiator or something?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

It goes back to the 6.0 oil cooler issues. I'd like to keep the delta as low as I can. That means the oil cooler is not due for replacement.

When I installed the dual oil filter setup, it was really to move the filter. I've had the filter and driveshaft zerk fitting make contact with unpleasant results:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3251

I had it happen again without the oil leak, so I just decided to install the SMB remote adapter and the AMSOIL remote setup for more clearance. The lower oil temps is an unexpected bonus.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

I thought I had posted my filter / drive shaft story but could not find it. The early SMB 4x4's did not include the bypass but I think later they required it once the clearance problem was discovered. For me it was a extreme compression on the left front suspension (opposite back tire in the air) that crushed the filter canister at the seal and deformed the filter housing. Fortunately (and this is amazing) it did not leak while it was hot. I drove another 1/2 hour off road, stopped 1/2 hour for a burger (Moreno Lake) and then drove 60+ miles back to town and parked in my driveway. After several hours when it had cooled it started to leak just sitting there. Since I was still cleaning up the van I noticed it right away and backed it out into the street and brought it forward into its regular parking spot on the right leaving this giant V shaped oil trail in my driveway and in the street. It took about a year for that to fade. Anyway you couldn't even order that replacement part from Ford yet because it was so new so the bypass was the only option and of course the smart one. Well other than the supply and return ports being mislabeled.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

In thinking about this, I may have reduced my deltas, but that does not mean I've changed anything related to the stock oil cooler.

Ford says that a 15 degree delta indicates the oil cooler needs to be replaced.

The additional cooling from the remote oil filter can change the observed readings but not the functioning or lack of functioning of the oil cooler.

Still, I somehow feel better seeing lower EOT's.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

My deltas run quite high @ 10-20 degrees and occasionally in the 30 degree range (very rarely under 10 degree delta). I'm certain my oil cooler is due to be replaced. My extended diesel warranty is up in July. I plan on visiting the dealer in June to try to get one more "free" one on them.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote