Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Refer or Dometic

Hi Everyone, my question is, with having a refer installed, how does all the items inside fair when traveling, do they get thrown around?
With a Domectic, does the same thing happen?
What is most prerable?
Thank you all for sharing your experience with a new by.
Joe, Futrmobl

Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #2

A Dometic is a refer. What are you asking about? What are your concerns? Side vs top opening orientation?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #3

Refer, Dometic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
A Dometic is a refer. What are you asking about? What are your concerns? Side vs top opening orientation?
Do the items in refrigerator get tossed around when driving on and off road. How much doe's the freezer get used? Is having the refer built in more convenient, what about space usage compared to a Dometic.
Not ever having either asking what are thoughts. If you are starting a build what choice for all around use does experience say is most like able?
Thank you,
Joe Futrmobl
Old 03-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
KDB

Hi Joe,

Definitely a lot of info on the forum here in that regards but i can tell you from my personal experience -and most others here id imagine- having some kind of refridgeration in your vehicle is a must. THere are many different sizes to choose from that will suit a number of different applications. Whether it's for holding a 6 pack of cans or other drinks to having multi month excursions you'll find what you need at any one of the primary fridge freezer manufacturers. Dometic is a great and reliable brand with good customer support and a long history of making things like this. ARB (which i own) has been reliable and used heavily (made by dometic). I recently purchased a snow master dual zone which has a separately controlled freezer compartment and fridge compartment. IT appears to be an excellent unit. Very well insulated. Look forward to getting that more use out of that.
Top loader chest freezers are my preferred unit. They retain the cold air trapped inside the chest vs the front door loader (similar to a home fridge) that spills the cold air out when the door opens.
Regarding food stability in transit...yes the contents will shift around so make sure you pack accordingly and incorporate protective coverings to sensitive items like eggs (using an egg case, etc). Avoid glass, or at the least separate glass from items that could break it.
Regarding the frequency of use...depends on how often you use your rig. When taking a trip it's typically used 24/7.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Joe,

As stated above, Dometic is a brand that makes refrigerators. In the top load configuration, like a cooler, and the side or front door, like at your home.

I have used both and my preferred option is the opposite of KDB's. I like the side opening door.
We find it much easier to organize and reach items. It can be built in with out the use of a slide mechanism or sacrificing counter space.
The cold air flowing out when the door opens hasn't been an issue for us. We don't have large electrical requirements so our small 180ah of battery is plenty for being parked for at least a few days without solar.
Things will definitely move around in either style. Probably more so in the front/side door due to having shelves and being able to spread things out if not paying attention. In a top loader everything will kind of just pile on top of each other unless you are using some racks as shelves.
We use some organizers and stuff towels in there when the groceries start to thin out to keep things from shifting.

It all kind of depends on how you want to use and build the van as well as other requrements.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

"Top loader chest freezers are my preferred unit. They retain the cold air trapped inside the chest vs the front door loader"

How can that be?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #7

Garage
...Cold air drops, Hot air rises...I guess a case could be made for "trapping cold air" in a top loader BUT it would be mostly on principle...and short lived.
Since we accept both coolers are operational, and all the product stored inside has been kept cold, opening a top loader or a door loader only has a minimal effect on product temperature - air temperature on the other hand will raise above product temp since containment has been violated. As soon at the door is closed the compressor will engage and bring the inside temp back to its set point.
Will you realize a huge benefit of cooling by choosing between the two styles of doors? not really - unless you factor in the quality associated with the development & construction of the Brand (or the way you are packing the fridge).
As several mention, choose what suits your application (and budget) best.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #8

I am grateful for all of your impute.
Thank you very much.
Joe Futrmobl
Old 03-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
"Top loader chest freezers are my preferred unit. They retain the cold air trapped inside the chest vs the front door loader"

How can that be?
As cold air is heavy (literally more dense) it naturally rests at the bottom of your 'insulated box'.

When using a side opening door that cold dense air will "fall" out of the fridge. In chest freezers they do not. It then becomes an electrical draw concern as mentioned above. With proper battery storage/ solar, etc, it's a non issue and does have advantages chest freezers do not. All a matter of preference.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
As cold air is heavy (literally more dense) it naturally rests at the bottom of your 'insulated box'.
This is why I use a small battery powered fan to circulate the cold air in my ARB chest fridge. It definitely helps maintain a more consistent temperature throughout the fridge.

Herb