Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Replace C-channel Quigley Torque arms with round

Hello All,
I just received my new torque arms from Quigley and I'm looking to tackle the project during the quarantine.
Are there any issues that I need to look out for? Any special tricks to make it easier? What would you torque the bolts to? Any grease? Or just unbolt the old and bolt the new?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

SCMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #2

It is a tight fit I can tell you that. I usually have a jack on hand to cycle the shock and spring so I can get the bolts in the holes.

Taking off the suspension probably helps.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #3

Garage
I'd give Quigley a call and get their recommendations specific to your application. They told me both specifications for torque and how to position the suspension prior to final tightening. I'm guessing you're talking about replacing the control arms and not torque arms? Anyway, the folks at Quigley are super easy to deal with (as long as they are still open for business)...
Old 09-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #4

How'd this go? Still got a lower c-channel version lying around by chance? I just realized i have a broken one
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Are the new ones bushings or do they have an articulating end on either end? Also, I pulled the broken arm out of mine, but the end that is mounted to the axle is stuck...seems the bolt was installed before the steering knuckle was welded on? Looks like I have to cut it off to get it out...tried a pry bar and it didn't budge, am i missing something simple here?
Old 10-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

ok, in case anyone else has this issue, i got the bolt out by hammering the broken bushing into the bracket at an angle so the bolt would clear the axle. Quigley arms are bushings on both ends.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
Are the new ones bushings or do they have an articulating end on either end? Also, I pulled the broken arm out of mine, but the end that is mounted to the axle is stuck...seems the bolt was installed before the steering knuckle was welded on? Looks like I have to cut it off to get it out...tried a pry bar and it didn't budge, am i missing something simple here?
Same issue with bolt being unremovable. Cut with a sawzall and installed the new bolt in opposite direction. Should have been installed this way from Quigley. At least on mine it was 18 years ago when Quigley did it wrong so no hard feelings.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #8

Steve C -- any chance you could pass along the directions/suggestions Quigley gave you on replacing/installing/suspension positioning suggestions ? I am aware that torque specs are 120 ft lbs for bolts - if that helps ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #9

WillTheThri11 -- what are the specs on your van - V10 ? E350 EB ? - etc ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #10

New Quigley torque arm installation

Just did this and as you said 120 foot lbs for the bolt torque. Torque with vehicle weight on the suspension. I removed both arms on the driver side and there was a very minor shift that made for a little work lining up the holes to reinstall the new bolts. On the passenger side I removed and replaced the upper arm first and then the lower arm. Much easier to reinstall the new bolts.

Trying to figure out how to change my member picture and info. I did this on a 2003 Quigley E350