Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #1

Replacing cabinets

I have a '92 EB and it appears that the cabinets of MDF are expanded at the base, probably due to a water leak throughout. I was also thinking about replacing the carpet or rhino lining the flooring.
Does anyone have any insight into the best way to do the cabinet replacment to bring them up to date? What materials, hinges,etc?

rogers112869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #2

Re: Replacing cabinets

Mine too. It looks like there is a sheet of 3/4 oriented strand board under the carpet. The floor and the MDF all very heavy.

I am going to take it all out and replace the flooring with a form fitting rubber mat. It has grooves that match the grooves in the van floor. Then use the MDF cabinets as templates to build new cabinets out of 1/4 plywood on a 1x2 frame. On previous projects, this has cut my weight almost by 1/2. A cutting board on the countertop would provide a beefy surface if needed for cutting or chopping.

You might want to look at tortion box construction if you want even stronger surface. Here is a random article on the subject:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ ... x?id=26506

These work great for table tops. I replaced my pop up table top with a tortion box and dropped from 40 lbs to 20.

Another idea is to replace the drawers with wicker baskets (or plastic) held in place by line on a cleat. Starts to look pretty rustic/nautical though. Depends on the look you are willing to live with.

Good luck. Please post pics.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #3

Thanks Bluedog225.
Not sure what my plan will be. I would really like to get it back to the new materials SMB is using, but probably will not do anything for awhile. This will be a lengthy project and want to do it right.
I too will probably use the old cabinets as templates.
We are buying a new house so as soon as I get my garage, I will then plan my masterpiece :-)
Old 05-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #4

Perhaps you already know how to do this but for others....

Get a router and a flush cutting template bit. One with the bearing on the bit that follows your template and cuts an exact match.
Then rough cut your new wood to the old shape using a jig saw or even a circular saw making straight line cuts.
Finally, clamp the new wood to the template (the old cabinet part) with the new wood either on top or bottom depending on your template bit. (I prefer to use a bit with the bearing on the bottom so that I don't have to worry about cutting into my worktable)
Now use your router to cut a perfect match.

This goes by really really fast. A router is an amazing tool and perfect when you have a template. Usually making the template takes all the time but in this case it has been done for you.

I'd bet you could copy all your cabinets in about a day or two.

Mark
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #5

Somewhere, either on this Forum or on the Yahoo list, someone once noted a polymeric-based MDF replacement that was sturdy, waterproof, and super light weight. I can't seem to find it. That said, here are some options that Google popped up:

http://www.azobuild.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=8062

http://www.professionalplastics.com/STA ... ARINEBOARD

http://www.dotmar.com.au/component/virt ... &itemid=54
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #6

Thanks all, I have some grreat ideas......just need a big place to do the replacement at. Current garage is too small.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzemach
Somewhere, either on this Forum or on the Yahoo list, someone once noted a polymeric-based MDF replacement that was sturdy, waterproof, and super light weight. I can't seem to find it. That said, here are some options that Google popped up:

http://www.azobuild.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=8062

http://www.professionalplastics.com/STA ... ARINEBOARD

http://www.dotmar.com.au/component/virt ... &itemid=54
I used Azek sheets.. made my front cabinet with it. Lighter then mdf and completly waterproof..works like wood but its really weird-like plastic wood. Not cheap.
Got the sheet from Ganahl Lumber Company.. The router was my friend for that project...made those rounded corners. My buddy supervised my progress since I never took wood shop.

http://www.azek.com/viewCategory.php?name=AZEK+Trim

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #8

NRL- Do you happen to know how much lighter it is (density vs. MDF)? No way I'd replace my MDF (because I'm lazy), but just curious if you replaced all the MDF with AZEK, and the plywood floor as well, how much less the van would weigh. Am guessing less different than half a tank of fuel, so probably in the noise. I'm still curious though.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzemach
NRL- Do you happen to know how much lighter it is (density vs. MDF)? No way I'd replace my MDF (because I'm lazy), but just curious if you replaced all the MDF with AZEK, and the plywood floor as well, how much less the van would weigh. Am guessing less different than half a tank of fuel, so probably in the noise. I'm still curious though.
Not exact weight measurements but I can guessestimate it's about 1/2 the weight or more. We built the front cabinet (prototype1) with MDF first and was friggin heavy! I mean FRIGGIN HEAVY!

I even tried it out by taking out the sportsmobile front cabinet and replacing it with my MDF version and had it in the van for a few months.

That prompted the rebuild (prototype 2 in the pics) using something lighter, way lighter. What really prompted the rebuild also was the smell of the MDF...which didn't got away.

As time goes by I'm slowly replacing the original cabinets with Azek.. I'm thinking of adding a Slide out for canned goods also with some available space in the back near the closet. I'm also thinking of re-doing the back passenger Drawers also (Layout I think is a RB-30,31).

It would be nice to replace the floor but that would take ALOT of work to completely gut it out. I would use Azek but that sheet would cost like $300 bucks or more! Ain't cheap.
Home Depot had a similar material but they didn't have sheets of it, only 6inches by 4 feet sizes around that.

Those dimensions are not accurate but you get the idea.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #10

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I have been thinking of the smae thing after seeing the inside of a Roadtek. I would like to replace my paper veneer cabinets with the real wood Roadtek uses. I think it would be lighter. Guess I better buy a router!

Regards,

Keith