Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Rim fitment

So I recently bought some wheels and tires off carid and were suppose to be gaurenteed fitment. They fit the front but because of the wide hub in the back they don't fit the back.. has anyone had the same issue? Or know a way to solve the issue? I looked into spacers, just don't know what kind or anything about them.

MistaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Garage
Zen perspective:
Either they can be made to fit....or they can't! Good thing you've got that "guaranteed fit" policy on your side.

Haha, seriously though....Can you share some more details?

As in:
What model/year van do you have? (And what axle?)
And what make/model/size rims did you purchase?

If your wheel won't clear your rear hub, I am immediately suspicious of the fitment match. Curious if you bought a "universal fit" wheel design of some sort, vs. one intended specifically for your van? The various OEM manufacturers (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) do indeed in some cases share **bolt-pattern specs** across some vehicles/applications....but will still often have significantly different dimensions for their **center-bore openings**. (The big center hole that it sounds like won't clear your hub.) This center-bore spec can be easily overlooked when someone claims a wheels is a universal fit....

If you could, it would probably help if you posted a link to the CarID listing for the wheels you've bought....and perhaps a photo of your rear hub to better identify what axle you might have. With that info, the brighter minds here on the forum (translation: probably not me, lol) can likely better help sleuth this out.

(Brief opinion: Solving it with spacers seems like it would require a custom-fabricated "adapter spacer"....and there's got to be a simpler (and cheaper) solution out there than that....)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Do you have a full floater rear axle. That could be the difference. Are there differences between one pair of rims from the other pair?

Herb
Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Zen perspective:
Either they can be made to fit....or they can't! Good thing you've got that "guaranteed fit" policy on your side.

Haha, seriously though....Can you share some more details?

As in:
What model/year van do you have? (And what axle?)
And what make/model/size rims did you purchase?

If your wheel won't clear your rear hub, I am immediately suspicious of the fitment match. Curious if you bought a "universal fit" wheel design of some sort, vs. one intended specifically for your van? The various OEM manufacturers (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) do indeed in some cases share **bolt-pattern specs** across some vehicles/applications....but will still often have significantly different dimensions for their **center-bore openings**. (The big center hole that it sounds like won't clear your hub.) This center-bore spec can be easily overlooked when someone claims a wheels is a universal fit....

If you could, it would probably help if you posted a link to the CarID listing for the wheels you've bought....and perhaps a photo of your rear hub to better identify what axle you might have. With that info, the brighter minds here on the forum (translation: probably not me, lol) can likely better help sleuth this out.

(Brief opinion: Solving it with spacers seems like it would require a custom-fabricated "adapter spacer"....and there's got to be a simpler (and cheaper) solution out there than that....)
Yea I emailed some info the site wanted to try and resolve the issue. My van is a 2012 E350 super-duty everthing is stock so whatever axel is on those for that year. They're 17x8.5 XD rims the website said "guaranteed fitment" and they seemed very
Knowledgeable about it, so made the move to grab them. But now having the issues and making calls to see how I can fix it..
Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Do you have a full floater rear axle. That could be the difference. Are there differences between one pair of rims from the other pair?

Herb
Sorry I dont know about my axel. Everything is stock if that helps. If there is a difference it's so minute I wouldn't be able to eye it.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaLee View Post
Sorry I dont know about my axel. Everything is stock if that helps. If there is a difference it's so minute I wouldn't be able to eye it.
Hey, opportunity for learning here. Post a picture here of your rear hub with the rear wheel removed. (As viewed from the outside, looking at the surface where your wheel would bolt to it.)

The hubs on heavy-duty full-floater axles look VERY different from lighter-duty semi-float axles. The experts here can help you make that identification, you just need to post enough info.

Again, posting these two things will help us...to help you:

1) picture of your rear axle with the wheel removed, showing the center hub area and studs

2) ** complete** info/specs for your new wheels. (Easist way is really for you to just post a link here to the product listing page for the exact wheels you bought.) That page ought to indicate center-bore, backspacng, etc....

Really need all that info.
Otherwise this will turn into a long thread without any resolution and lots of guessing instead of definitive answers.

You've got this! Just go dig a bit more for the complete product listing for those wheels....post a picture of your rear hub....and let's get this solved!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey, opportunity for learning here. Post a picture here of your rear hub with the rear wheel removed. (As viewed from the outside, looking at the surface where your wheel would bolt to it.)

The hubs on heavy-duty full-floater axles look VERY different from lighter-duty semi-float axles. The experts here can help you make that identification, you just need to post enough info.

Again, posting these two things will help us...to help you:

1) picture of your rear axle with the wheel removed, showing the center hub area and studs

2) ** complete** info/specs for your new wheels. (Easist way is really for you to just post a link here to the product listing page for the exact wheels you bought.) That page ought to indicate center-bore, backspacng, etc....

Really need all that info.
Otherwise this will turn into a long thread without any resolution and lots of guessing instead of definitive answers.

You've got this! Just go dig a bit more for the complete product listing for those wheels....post a picture of your rear hub....and let's get this solved!
Here are those pics. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2456.jpg   IMG_2432.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Ok cool.

Unless I'm missing something,, that doesn't look like a full-floater axle, at least not like the ones I've seen. Full floater axles typically protrude their hub unit at least five or six inches outboard of the wheel-mounting face, and are capped with a ring of bolts. So unless I'm off-base, that looks like a semi-float axle that ought not to be causing such wheel-mounting headaches.

I did a quick bit of extra searching online for those wheels you just bought, and it did look like they are indeed claimed to have guaranteed fitment (from a number of sellers) for your year/model van. So something weird is afoot.

Question:
The spec sheet you shared for your *new* wheels lists the hub bore at 125.5mm....have you measured the hub bore in your old wheels? And is it the same in both your front and rear wheels?

And also ---- as BroncoHauler mentioned...now's the time to get out a good measuring tape (one that measures in metric!) and compare your old and new wheels in that critical center-bore measure. And don't rule out the possibility that you were sent the wrong wheels, with perhaps a center-bore opening that isn't the size it should be. Check and verify those center bore measurements....on both the old and the new wheels.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
I'm curious, what is the measurement of the hub itself ? Already know the wheel is 125.5 mm (or at least should be)?
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

That's not a full float axle. That much is clear.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote