Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #11

Re: Roof Leak Repairs Round II - The Front Section

I'm about to get my PH top sprayed with Line-X. I'm thinking why not just have them spray it right over the bolts and washers?!?!?! Would this be a good idea or not, what do you all think? Seems like it would make it waterproof and should be good as long as I don't have to undo the bolts for some reason, can't think of why I'd have to remove them.

ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc0720
I'm about to get my PH top sprayed with Line-X. I'm thinking why not just have them spray it right over the bolts and washers?!?!?! Would this be a good idea or not, what do you all think? Seems like it would make it waterproof and should be good as long as I don't have to undo the bolts for some reason, can't think of why I'd have to remove them.
That's what SMB does if you bring it in to have them do it.

I like the idea of being able to get the bolts and washers off (and not compromise the new lining/surface) if something comes up with the Penthouse where you need to.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Jage,

I've been reviewing this topic because I have a leak problem that looks much like this. I've decided to replace all the hardware front and back. Your instructions are excellent and the photos great. I have only two questions:
1. How exactly did you specify the parts you needed from Sportsmobile? Or will they know what I'm talking about when I call them up? (They being the folks in Indiana where mine was built.)
2. What is the thickness of the butyl rubber material? In seems to come in several thicknesses.
That would be my questions too. Basically a parts list and size reference for those who need to do this repair. I don't but I garage my SMB and who knows if I will in the future?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

I was wondering where to get the hardware, especially those caps and cap retainers. I haven't been able to find them in my local hardware store.

Rob
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I was wondering where to get the hardware, especially those caps and cap retainers. I haven't been able to find them in my local hardware store.

Rob
I don't know about the rest of the hardware but you can get the rubber caps directly from Sportsmobile.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #16

Great write up! I, too, would love a parts list, though. I was just washing my new (used) SMB for the first time and one of the black caps came off in my hand. The bolts are piled with goops of butyl and just look a mess. Not sure if SMB did this or the previous owner.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

Nice write up but please post parts and supplies list!

Jeremiah, if I drive to your house will you help me do mine?

(looks like I have or had a leak by my PH vent/fan grrr)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #18

One of the biggest issues I've had is my top leaking. After dealing with this for several years, having SMB fix it once and then twice myself I finally had enough and had the "new and improved" top put on. It has fewer holes drilled through the top and is lighter. Turns out not only was it leaking from the bolt holes, but there was also a 10 inch crack in the fiberglass; water got in there, the wood swelled up, it was nasty. I got all new canvas due to water damage, new shades and Yakima tracks. I had them put an extra window in the back as well.

This was all covered under the original lifetime "no leak" warranty, although I did have to pay for the matching paint. I was informed that this replacement top, and any other PH tops from the factory going forward, only come with a 5 year warranty against leaks. Seems to me they must have had quite a few warranty repairs/replacements in order to change the policy. I do have to say, they were always really good about sending me replacement parts at no charge and after having so many problems I didn't have to fight to get a new top. Customer service has always been great. It did however cost me a couple days off work, hotel, car rental and fuel for the 10 hour trip each way so I was still out of pocket quite a bit of $$. I considered having it retrofitted with a full height top instead of the replacement PH, but at over $5K plus I just couldn't justify it so I went with the warranty repair.

If I ever get another SMB it's gona have a fixed top, but since you can't get the diesel anymore I've decided to hang onto mine; just can't seem to stomach the fuel cost of the V-10 and the V8 just doesn't have the power I would want.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

I never knew about the lifetime warranty on the original top. I will have to check that out.

I have some leaks from the vent, tossing up taking it down to SMB west vs DIY.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #20

Sorry to dig up an old one. But I'm having difficulty finding the large washers locally or online. Has anyone got a lead on where to find them that would like to share?!

Thank you!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote