Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #11

Re: Roof Rack Companies & Options?

^^^ BroncoHauler " Isn't the last picture on the original post, a pic of Brent's SMB?" Very similar but not the same.
Attached Thumbnails
compare.jpg  

Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

I'm shopping for a roof rack as well. I'm considering the new Ujoint rack. I also like this one.
http://www.equipt1.com/c/roof-racks
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ns-Q-amp-A
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

JoeH, what kind of top do you have on your SMB?

I'm curious to you and other posters if the Ujoint or any of the links you sent are designed such that they mount into the fiberglass Voyager top. It seems to me that this requirement is one of the reasons my options are both limited and expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Aluminess the only company that specifically designs and builds racks for the voyager top? yes I could certaintly mount another rack onto my voyager top but knowing where in the voyager top to mount it to have it support the weight correctly and have it actually fit nicely and a ton of other reasons--- taking a rack that the manufacturer doesn't have experience putting on a voyager top, is quite a gamble.

Ps the picture in my post was taken from the Aluminess website..

Is having four people on a roof rack something no one has done before? The rack itself is 800 pounds rated from Aluminess. According to Peter at SMB West he didn't give exact weight figures for the top but said four people not a problem.
seanahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #14

You might try Truck Racks in Clackamas off of Johnson Creek Rd...they could probably build you a custom rack...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Frostyone, I went to Truck Racks in Clackamas (near Portland) and the guy didn't even let me get out of my SMB before he firmly shouted "We don't do those tops" pointing to my voyager top. I tried to reason, ask questions, and he just kept firmly stating "We don't go near that voyager top. I won't even sell you a rack. Don't want our brand near it." The rain gutters are 24" below the top of the voyager top, putting a rack on 24" towers would be unsafe and he seemed to indicate mounting into the fiberglass was not in their domain of work. I could hardly ask him any questions, he just wanted to let me know there was not a chance in the world he would build me a rack.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #16

This may be a cheaper option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Econoline- ... 9b&vxp=mtr

Vantech utility racks.

I too have a fiberglass hightop roof on my van. I plan to order a set of two very shortly. I need it for kayaks mostly. You could get four of these cross members and have a flat top fabricated to connect to all four. You can get these in aluminum and steel and they attach to the rain gutters so the weight stays off the top.

Not at snazzy looking as the Aluminess stuff but they look ok to me.

Good luck,
Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
four people on a fiberglass top with a window cut out and vent cutout... weight of the rack, chairs, humans... all on a rather soft suspension... hmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanahrens
he just wanted to let me know there was not a chance in the world he would build me a rack.
*theresanechoinhereherehere
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

JBoles, that's an interesting option. Thanks for sharing. It's definitely a nice plus to not have the fiberglass drilled into (leakproofing and future modifications). This is the first time I've seen risers that tall. I wonder if risers that tall present a "shearing" risk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_stress): meaning the weight might present a side force that would break or bend the elbow of the riser. Because each riser connects across the van, it seems like that force might be well protected against. Rain gutters are strong, and basically should be able to hold up a very large amount of weight.

I wrote the seller to clarify what they mean by "This system can hold up 250-450lbs depending on where crossbar is positioned". Do they mean per crossbar? eg. 750 - 1350 lbs if there are three crossbars. I also wonder if there is an off-the-shelf rack that would fit nicely in the space these risers create (if you have any links (or companies) to share for off-the-shelf racks would love it). You're probably right, it would definitely not look as slick as an Aluminess rack. Could potentially be cheaper. If my math is right though, three of these would cost $840 before shipping/tax, once I add a $1000 rack to that (assuming I could get one with expanded aluminum), we're up to about $2k. That's with no ladder (my $3k quote includes a ladder) Cheaper than Aluminess, but because it'll look funky and might be a lot of work trying to make everything work, that $2k is starting to look not THAT competitive.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #19

twogone, I see your point. But Aluminess AND Sportsmobile are telling me it'll hold the weight. I consider them to be trustworthy sources. Perhaps the lesson to be derived here is that maybe its dangerous weight-wise to DIY (or custom rack shop) a solution that isn't from SMB or Aluminess. Because SMB and Aluminess know what they are doing and build specifically for Voyager tops.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboles
This may be a cheaper option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Econoline- ... 9b&vxp=mtr

Vantech utility racks.
Really, I think this approach is the most structurally sound. Attaching to the top depends on proper fiberglass layup and backing points, and some of the tops aren't attached very well to start with (reverse-flange tops are bonded as well as screwed, so they aren't going anywhere... The traditional screwed-and-covered tops with a trim band around it... well, make sure you always have your seatbelt on...).

I've had 18 adults (standing room mostly) on top of my van watching a race. So somewhere north of 3,000 pounds. The weather guard rack held it all just fine, and there was no protest from the gutters either.