Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Maybe there is a new design since 2006.
Don't think so...sounds much like the one I installed 2 years ago......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I added this antenna earlier this year, couple aluminum sticks and some sheet metal, and now I have a ground plane on my fiberglass roof:

Stealing that ground plane idea....brilliant!

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

I have Thule rails on my van. Three bars. I am in the process of putting a bike rack on the back of my van using my Aluminess box and some supporting bits. I was about to essentially duplicate what I have on my roof on the cargo box when the sticker shock hit me.

At this point, I am considering using 8020 and it would still be way cheaper.

If I were to do it again, I would just suck it up and do the full Aluminess roof rack (with those cool boat rollers). Might end up going that route anyway.

Having said that, I have had no problem with the Thule pieces. Primarily had bikes up there.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

I went with Thule (this might be the 6th vehicle in a row now)

Paying full price was never an option. Even with my pro deal ordering Thule comes with major shipping charges. So...after 5 or 6 separate purchases from CL and Ebay I ended up with new 65" crossbars, used mounts, and a nice used rocketbox for around $500. Retail would have been about 3 times that. Took a lot longer to accumulate the parts but the cost savings were worth it. Plus it is all removable in less than 10 minutes.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #14

I just have a home built interior without a pop top so I use gutter mount racks. I have a set of Yakima gutter mounts but found out after I installed my ARB awning with the 1der group buy bracket mounts that they do not fit behind the awning. Not a problem if you have the bars mounted outside of either end. But if you need to mount them directly behind the awning then the Thule mounts will work if you replace the knob and bolt with a nut/bolt set up. And even then, they just barely fit but will work.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I like my new system.. Ten foot sections of Unistrut P1000EA (Aluminum) running down both sides. Then I have the ability to add whatever I want, wherever I want, without any further holes. Moving solar forward or back, change solar panels, adding antenna with a ground plane (as I just did), etc, is super easy.
I love Unistrut/Powerstrut/etc. Lots of different manufactures. Easy to assemble. Think Erector Set. Comes in gold, green, galvanized, aluminum and stainless. Have used it for multiple projects.

I like it better than 8020 because it is easier to work with and can be purchased at Homedepot, and electrical supply houses.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #16

I really like the idea of aluminum unistrut. The antenna ground plane is great also. I've been trying to think through various no ground plane antenna ideas but they're always a compromise.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
I really like the idea of aluminum unistrut. The antenna ground plane is great also. I've been trying to think through various no ground plane antenna ideas but they're always a compromise.
I can't recommend it enough.. Weighs next to nothing, very strong, super easy to work with.

But I have to admit, it wasn't my idea.. Derek from CCV suggested it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote