Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

Garage
Scepter Runt on Alum box w/bike rack???

Appreciate any help: Been searching for a picture of a Van that has the regular size rear Aluminess box with the Bike rack, and also has the Scepter "runts" stored on top of the box (Runts should fit between the top of the box and clear the bottom of the bike rack).
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone on this Forum that has this set-up, but have been unable to locate a picture to confirm this can be accomplished (and reveal how much clearance there actually is - being able to lift the Runts over the lip of the tray that would hold them in place is the real concern)
After several days using the Search function, I've still been unable to locate what I'm looking for, hoping someone here is able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Is post #4 what you're looking for?

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ack-24028.html

Herb
Old 02-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

Garage
Thank you so much Herb, That's the one I was searching for (feeling a little older now though, since I didn't recall posing my question or JoeH's reply - just remember I had seen & read something about that setup). His response to my question back then clarifies everything for me - Much appreciated!
Old 02-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Team

No problem at all.

FWIW, I googled the terms below and it came right up. Many times using Google is much easier that the search function here.

sportsmobileforum scepter "bike rack"

Herb
Old 02-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

Did someone say runt? The first two go in easy over the rail but the 3rd requires a sideways insert with a twist if that makes sense. Easy to fill while on top of the box as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Fruita.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:51 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks JoeH - also pulled the photo off your album, helps me a lot with my upcoming decision .
Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

If you have the Aluminess storage box, you probably have the spare tire carrier on the back as well, opposite the storage box. Why not get the Thule bike carrier that attaches to the center post of the spare tire carrier? It will hold 2 (or more) bikes securely, is easy to load and unload, and is also easy to remove from the spare tire carrier. The arms fold down when not in use. No problems or issues opening/closing the rear van doors with bikes loaded on the carrier. Fairly inexpensive. You might find it on the Sportsmobile online store. I've used it happily for years.

The only negative is that you can't use the Trasharoo trash carrier on the spare tire while carrying bikes on it.
zendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendude View Post
If you have the Aluminess storage box, you probably have the spare tire carrier on the back as well, opposite the storage box. Why not get the Thule bike carrier that attaches to the center post of the spare tire carrier? It will hold 2 (or more) bikes securely, is easy to load and unload, and is also easy to remove from the spare tire carrier. The arms fold down when not in use. No problems or issues opening/closing the rear van doors with bikes loaded on the carrier. Fairly inexpensive. You might find it on the Sportsmobile online store. I've used it happily for years.

The only negative is that you can't use the Trasharoo trash carrier on the spare tire while carrying bikes on it.
That works too. Only negative I can think of is weight. My spare is ~100lb so two bikes with racks is easily over 150lb and probably closer to 200lb.

At least on the older swing arm (prior to the square tubing) the weight limit was 150lb. I'm not sure if that also applies to the spare tire carrier.
There have been lots of failures from over-loaded swing arms including mine.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
That works too. Only negative I can think of is weight. My spare is ~100lb so two bikes with racks is easily over 150lb and probably closer to 200lb.

At least on the older swing arm (prior to the square tubing) the weight limit was 150lb. I'm not sure if that also applies to the spare tire carrier.
There have been lots of failures from over-loaded swing arms including mine.
Thanks for the idea zendude, but I ruled that out early on for the same reason(s) JoeH mentioned - I have two 20" Fat-Tire e-bikes that weigh 65lbs each (52 if I pull the battery), which puts me considerably over the weight limit when paired with a 35x12.5 Toyo...just not comfortable tempting fate.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

You guys are right ... with heavy bikes, my idea is not a good one.

I have light bikes, and it works fine with those.
zendude is offline   Reply With Quote