Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Scissor jack modification

I had been posting about jacks and dissatisfaction with Hi Lifts, etc. But I thought I'd put a separate thread here with the pictures of the jacks I'm gonna modify:

Please disregard the notice about NOT using them to lift to change tires. I am ignoring that (they're rated for 6500 lbs, and I noted the bolts are spec'd accordingly). I assume the warning is there because if you don't connect and thereby reinforce the top flanges they'd bend right over. The jack comes with a 19mm hex end on the screw, which means you can use your own wrenches and impact driver, and you get a nice but shortish (3') jack handle that in a nice touch has a swiveled socket attached. I may make an extension. It has 24" of lift (geometry being what it is, you can more ooomph near horiz than vert).

I might just flip it and weld a plate with fasteners for a wide base, and use the foot for the top; it's about the right size and shape for jacking at the axle or framerail. Thought of using a floor jack circular saddle there, but now maybe thinking of just welding on some 3/4" high angle on each end to prevent slippage.

The devil in me wants to bolt the top right to the frame just aft of the axle with some extension to get it lower, and a beveled plate attached to the foot. It would then act as a skid plate, or be high enough to not hit. Or u-bolt it to the axle. Then I could have a pre-installed jack for use any time.

Another way to go is to weld a plate to the top, and then bolt a 7"x2" tube to the top (it's 7" wide) with just a 1/2" bolt in the middle. I'd also cut out the middle of the 2" tube to create a saddle for use on the frame or axle. Be nice to have it so it could freely move like the top of a floor jack since you'd frequently be jacking at an angle. And then I could stick the 2" into my hitch receiver and carry it around (maybe even jack from it, although I'd have to cogitate more on that).

Any suggestions?

BTW, nice deal on these at Amazon: 2 for $66 freely shipped.

Rob

Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #2

Re: Scissor jack modification

Glad you're working on this Rob, saves me the trouble of having to figure it out...

Seems to me that a spacer tube between the jack and the frame and a couple of suitably thick plates would be pretty simple. So remove the right angle lightweight stock plates, space the jack down as much as you need with square tube, bolt plates on each side to the jack and the frame, maybe tack the tube to the plates or the jack to stop it moving and you'd have a solid system.

Damm, now I might have to finally do this.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

Still not positive I want 'em permanently fastened.

Another gotcha is this: they go so tall that they are unstable side-to-side at height (assuming the screw is parallel to the van body, which it would usually be in order to be able to turn the screw). Since levelers are normally fixed to the vehicle, they have a smaller base.

So if I do use them free, I'd have to fab a bigger (and probably detachable) base. Like two pieces of thick 1.5" angle about 10". Just bolt them thru the base with hex bolts and wing nuts. Maybe add extra holes in the angle pieces to vary the configuration of the base.

But I surmised that side-side jack instability is way more of a practical problem than fore-aft; gonna be much more rare the van would slide that way than sideways (and besides, that's why it's stuck...).

Rob
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Any jack especially those type need to be kept inside oiled and free of dirt and rust. A hi-lift is more resistant to the elements.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Any jack especially those type need to be kept inside oiled and free of dirt and rust. A hi-lift is more resistant to the elements.
Um I guess it was in the other thread I mentioned this was a trailer leveler jack; it's designed to be mounted outside. Wouldn't work too well on the inside of the trailer

And in my experience scissor jacks work fine outdoors with no more than an occasional shot of grease. Certainly no more maintenance than a Hi Lift, if not less.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Guess I just envisioned the ones I've seen in junk yards all rusted up. Lifting to change a tire just screams "keep me looking brand new"

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #7

Are these the ones you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57401-Olymp ... ky+leveler
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #8

So I'm a little unclear on what you're doing here- are you going to put a plate or channel to fix the flanges and cradle the axle?

I'd think some square U channel appropriate to the D60 diameter would be enough, and being as wide or wider than the L flanges would help with the side to side.

If you're taking about bolting to the frame/lifting the frame to change a tire... I'd guess not feasible. Why make all that suspension travel when your goal is only to get the tire clear?