Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Sealing around SMB screws that penetrate the van underbody

Let me first say I did do a search first, but almost all the results were about the poptop and the rest were about rust repair. So hopefully if I missed an existing thread someone can point me to it?

I just took delivery of our new SMB build on a new 2013 Chevy van. I went crawling around under the van and can see many screws that were used to hold various interior items down protruding through the under body. They are not large screws. There are a few places where they put a screw and then removed it leaving a tiny hole.

I want to use something to seal around these screws and over the tiny holes but am not sure what to use.
I definitely do not want to use silicone. I saw a post before where the guy used this red putty looking substance to fill around hoses when he added a propex heater but can't find the thread anymore.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to use?

Thanks in advance.

skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Sealing around SMB screws that penetrate the van underbo

I think a shot of primer (spray paint) on each screw/penetration might be enough.

Herb
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I think a shot of primer (spray paint) on each screw/penetration might be enough.
I was always told not to use a primer unless it is fairly quickly sealed with "real" paint. At least in the old days it used to carry a lot of talc (what makes it sandable and flat) that actually draws moisture causing rust. I had a panel sprayed just in primer and within three weeks it had pin head rust spots showing through.

I would think a rubberized underbody sealant would be the best. Something flexible.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

A good primer/sealer will be easy to apply, will adhere well and seal against moisture and rust.

Another products to consider are Rust Bullet, POR-15, or even butyl rope sealant.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #5

3M Rubberized Undercoating. It's what I used on the entire underbody for rust prevention and to coat all the screws.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
3M Rubberized Undercoating. It's what I used on the entire underbody for rust prevention and to coat all the screws.
I think that would work great, provided the surface is rust free and you get very good adhesion. Products like that, or bedliner, can trap moisture if not done properly, and that can make a rust situation much worse.

Herb
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Re: Re: Sealing around SMB screws that penetrate the van und

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
I think that would work great, provided the surface is rust free and you get very good adhesion. Products like that, or bedliner, can trap moisture if not done properly, and that can make a rust situation much worse.

Herb
Part of my yearly spring SMB maintenance always included wire brush surface rust, spraying with rust converter, then 3M undercoating the next day. The only reason I didn't mention it before was because the OP said it was a new SMB. But yes, make sure the surface is clean, rust and moisture free.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Yes indeed it is a brand new van, very clean and rust free under there right now. Which is why I am in a hurry to do it and the clean part won't last long.

I forgot to mention many of the screws are in locations I could never get a spray can on. I am hoping to find something I can reach in and apply with a tiny brush (long handled brush smaller than my pinky).

I read a little a about rust bullet and por-15. I see they come in pints which would be more than enough. I could only see them available online though. I'm hoping to find something local I can apply this weekend. Are there any stores that stock the stuff where I could buy it local?
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Team

I use Rust Bullet since it's for already rusted metal. Doesn't sound like that's the case for you. Since this is under the van and no one is going to see it I'd get some Rustoleum primer and metal paint in pint can. Not spray can. Use this on the holes. If we're talking about small holes use some GE silicone II (must be silicone II) to seal them up. For larger bolt holes through the floor I painted first then covered one side with duct tape. Then used bondo to patch the other side. After it hardens remove the tape, sand, paint.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Por 15 can be found at NAPA
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote