Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #1

Securing Yakama rails to PH roof

Hi,
We have a new(used) SMB with PH top and Yakama roof rack system.

Im going over the whole rig in anticipation of our first Baja trip in the SMB.

When inspecting the screws that hold down the rails that the towers slide in I discovered that 2/3rd of the screws are stripped!

This WILL self destruct on Baja roads with 2 kayaks up there.

I want to fix it right by taking everything off the roof inside and drill the holes for the track thru the roof, and replacing the wood screws with machine screws, washers, and bolts.

What is involved with taking everything off the inside of the roof? Im worried about the bars that scissor lift the top

Should I just epoxy the stripped screws in, or patch the holes with fiberglass and use the wood screws? I rather do it right with bolts and washers (and waterproofing).

Sorry if this is the wrong fourm.

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Re: Securing Yakama rails to PH roof

I am ASSUMING that the rails are attached with wood screws now.?.? The rails should have been located over the plywood that is part of the roof sandwich. Anything screwed into fiberglass only is a failure waiting to happen. If they are in wood you could remove the stripped screws pack the holes with slivers (1/16" x 1/16" x 1/2" or so) of a hard wood (oak, maple, etc) and re-install the screws. Should hold. Epoxy is good as long as you are not planning on taking anything apart in the future. Can still be done but you may have to drill out broken screws.

The screws should have about 3/4" of bite into the roof. Longer might start coming through the inside My roof is 1" thick (a true one inch ... ie:16/16ths) at the center plywood strip.

If all the screws are really in wood today and the proper length and still 2/3rds of them are stripped then the bolt, washer, LOCK nut approach indeed might be needed.

Good Luck

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

Buy new bolts and washers. The 60 inch tracks come with them but they are too short. I used 2 inch and had to snap them off and file. You may be able to use large fender washers and slip part of it between the canvas and roof in many places.

If you want more detail, let me know. I just installed 2 long tracks on each side.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Any chance you can put the towers on the outside of the canvas? I think there's just fiberglas there, but it would be pretty easy to back it up with a large plate to spread out the load. Whatever you do, I agree you can't leave them attached with wood screws. The "road" will eat them alive!! Make it as tough as you can, and then double it.
Let us know what you do and how it works. If you get to down there and need repairs, lots of hardware and tools at our place.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #5

I have a 2001 Smb installed yakima rail system. I just went out and gave it a look. They installed the rail outside of the canvas. Looks like they used a bolt and nylon locknut every foot. 7 totoal. It is still very tight and secure, but as scatter said I think I will undo the nuts and add larger fender washers. Might even take it a step further and add a long piece of flat alluminum and drill holes to match. That would be the strongest solution.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! Problem solved
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Our Yakima Rails go almost end to end and they are outside the canvas.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote