Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Shadetree Rear Bumper Build

A buddy recently gave me his rear bumper off of his E350 when he upgraded to an Aluminess bumper and box. I really like the Aluminess setup, but, I like building instead of buying when I can, and, I now had this bumper to play with.

Here it is with the locating holes for my reverse sensors drilled

I added reverse lights, welded in the spare tire crank access hole, and trailer spindles for the swing arms. Painting the bumper with bed liner paint.

Next was to start welding a spare tire carrier

With that complete I built a swing arm on the passenger side to be completed after I decided what to do for a box. I used some rotary latches to hold the arms closed, and added bungs for pin locks.

After much internal debate, I pulled the trigger on two under body boxes, building a bracket and stacking them on it.

I wasn't too fond of the aluminum boxes, so I painted them with John Deere Blitz Black. Sorry for the orientation, this forum doesn't seem to like the portrait format.

Finding inspiration in building the swing arms, and selling my stock front bumper to another buddy. I started working on building a front bumper from scratch.

Still have a ways to go on the front bumper, and not 100% sure I like it, I'm tempted to rip it apart and start over. But its been a fun exercise for a guy with just a dream, a die grinder and a HF wire feed welder.

BTW, those reverse sensors worked great... until I added the spare and the boxes. Now they trigger immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0932.jpg   IMG_0952.jpg   IMG_0971.jpg   IMG_1085.jpg   IMG_1086.jpg  

IMG_1310.jpg   IMG_1321.jpg   IMG_1775.jpg   IMG_1116.jpg   IMG_1130.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice. Usually more satisfying to build your own provided you have the skills (I don't).

BTW, how did you like the Blitz Black? I thought about painting my Bronco hood with it, but decided spray-on bedliner was a better approach for me and more forgiving of my fiberglass repair skills.

Herb
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Looks good!
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Most Excellent!

Two bumper threads, man I gotta get after mine.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

After years of buying Krylon Semi-Gloss Black for the inner fenderwells of my project cars, only to have them fade to grey and look rough after six months, I read a thread regarding the JD Blitz Black paint. Realizing I had a John Deere Dealer a few miles from me, I picked up a can of it to try. For a rattle can paint, it's absolutely the best. It flows out smooth without the overspray of the Krylon. It stays black. I have a VW Vanagon I blacked out the metal around the side windows over a year ago. That Vanagon sets in the SoCal sun every day, and hasn't faded yet. I highly recommend it.

And that "other" bumper thread has me highly dissatisfied with my front bumper project. WHY didn't I see that design BEFORE I started mine.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #6

Nice work on that rear bumper. I love it. I like the front too, but man, that back bumper is trick. I have the welder and the beer. Need my address?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote