Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Garage
Shower Delete

I've been heavily considering removing the original shower from the sportsmobile.

We use the vehicle for weekend and multi-week trips. We're traveling with 2 dogs and we work from the vehicle on a regular basis so the extra space would be nice. We are used to tent camping on trips like this, and haven't had any use for the shower yet. Every few days we hit up a hot springs or some other facility that we can use the showers.

The plan is to remove the shower and plumbing to this side of the van. Then building in a small encolosure for the cassette toilet and a desk on top of this for the drivers seat.

I'm posting up before I start in case there are some good suggestions that make me reconsider. The only big one that I can think of: I may hurt resale value, but this is not a big concern because I plan on doing a nice buildout (oem looking or better) and the shower is already an uncommon option. Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Garage
A few pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
smbshower-170206.jpg   smbshower-170206-2.jpg   smbshower-170206-3.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

Garage
One thing I wish I had was a shower like that. I think it's pretty neat, kinda doubles as a storage closet. Interested to see what you do.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

Shower Delete

Why not just keep the enclosure, but work within it to add the options you want? It's already a good space for a toilet. Build some sort of fold-down desk (maybe out of waterproof material) inside too. Plus, the enclosure can still serve as storage space. And the whole time you still keep the shower option alive if you need it. In a van a multipurpose space like that is great to have IMO and you keep your options open.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

I kinda agree with keeping it. That shower space is already the perfect size for a closet. Somebody else's recent home build thread showed an almost identical sized bathroom, but the door had an extra hinge and panel, to let the closet double in size when used for a bathroom. The inside shower could come in handy for stealth urban camping.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

I'd keep it too, honestly. For resale and that every now and then use. It's hard to find one with a shower and people DO look for them. Are you completely happy with the van otherwise?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
I'd suggest an outside shower port that can be controlled by a valve inside so it can be kept dry during cold weather. All you have to store is the wand/hose. It can be a selling point as mentioned. I bust a lot of brush and have yet to rip off the little door.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1254.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

I am a fulltimer Vanner and would LOVE to have an indoor shower for those occasions that I couldn't find a secluded area to have some privacy... I don't mind the cold but on those sub 30 nights- indoors would be awesome.

I say keep it and re-purpose it as mentioned above.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for all the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I'd suggest an outside shower port that can be controlled by a valve inside so it can be kept dry during cold weather. All you have to store is the wand/hose. It can be a selling point as mentioned. I bust a lot of brush and have yet to rip off the little door.
This is exactly what I had in mind as our new shower solution.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'd keep it too, honestly. For resale and that every now and then use. It's hard to find one with a shower and people DO look for them. Are you completely happy with the van otherwise?
I'm definitely happy with the van. The layout works great for us.