Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

"Shower" Installation

Hi All,

One of the things my SMB is lacking is any sort of shower system. I plan on using the van for my usual weekend surf outings, so having the ability to rinse off is a big plus.

The current set up in the van is pretty basic:
- 10 Gallon Tank
- Standard water pump (with on/off switch in cab)
- Sink/dual knob faucet

Here are some thoughts:

1. Try and find an adapter that screws on to the end of my faucet - seems like the easiest option, but then I have to drag a hose through the main part of my van which could get messy. Plus, the faucet head only has 2 threads when you remove the filter cover, which doesn't seem like it would create a sufficient seal.

2. Cut in a 3 way valve after the water pump that has a hose fitting connection. This would allow me to place the hose in the rear near the tank itself (much more ideal location). Though, I'm having trouble finding a T valve that fits the bill.

Here's what I'm envisioning:

Here are my questions:

1. Would either of the above options actually work? Do you foresee any issues with either? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for a high powered shower, or a full blown outdoor shower box, just something to quickly rinse off with.

2. Does such a valve exist? I've been searching for RV plumbing fittings but can't seem to find one that has a standard hose connection and is 3 way. I believe the tubing I have currently is 3/4".

3. If I went ahead with the valve splice, what should I use to secure the valve? Looks like SMB uses some sort of metal ring that slides over the fitting after the connection is made.

As always, thanks for the insight!

Roccon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

I can't see the pic. Just me?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #3

This is a Shark Bite T fitting.

http://thd.co/1OYag5G

I wonder if you could find one with the correct size outlets and it might work.

The metal rings on your existing pipes are PEX crimps and require a crimp tool. The Shark Bite stuff just presses on with not tools, but is more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccon99 View Post
1. Try and find an adapter that screws on to the end of my faucet - seems like the easiest option, but then I have to drag a hose through the main part of my van which could get messy. Plus, the faucet head only has 2 threads when you remove the filter cover, which doesn't seem like it would create a sufficient seal.
This is what I did in my old van and it worked perfectly, but my sink was on the passenger side of the van. Just went to Home Depot and picked up the cheapest handheld shower and an adapter for the faucet. All in for less than $30 and no plumbing work.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

I'm confused. Just tee the water line, you don't need a valve...just the tee. Run a new waterline to the rear of the van with a trigger based shower head (get at RV store). Your pump will pressurize both the faucet and the shower head. Enjoy! Mine is mounted on the rear cabinet right by the door, but you can mount wherever it makes sense.

Does my explanation make sense?
Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
I'm confused. Just tee the water line, you don't need a valve...just the tee. Run a new waterline to the rear of the van with a trigger based shower head (get at RV store). Your pump will pressurize both the faucet and the shower head. Enjoy! Mine is mounted on the rear cabinet right by the door, but you can mount wherever it makes sense.

Does my explanation make sense?
Makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure about having both of them pressurized at the same time, but yeah, that would work great. To keep things simple, I was thinking of using a connector like this (as previously suggested):

U370LF - SharkBite U370LF - 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4" Sharkbite Tee (Lead Free)

Are there rv shower heads that hook into standard 3/4" tube?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Seems like all the rv showers use hose with 1/2 inch connections. Ideally the tee would have two push connect inputs based on the size of my pex tubing (3/4 i think) and a 1/2 inch thread male output so a hose be connected directly. Can't seem to find the exact one, this seems close http://store.rainbird.com/xfftma050-...FU9efgodaPwB9w

Also, the picture I took is in the rear most part of the van, so I wouldn't need to run any water lines...just need to add the t and hookup a hose.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

I can see it now. Looks like a good and simple solution. You'll need another fitting for the shower head but that's standard too, just ask the plumbing guy wherever you go to get your T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #9

Yovan has the simplest solution, I'd do it.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #10

You might also want to wire a second switch for the water pump back where the shower head will be. That way you don't have to climb inside to turn on the system.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote