Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #1

Sink / Water Pump

In addition to the Fridge running continuously, the water pump for the sink runs as soon as I turn it on. I'm under the impression that the pump should only run when the faucet is turned on.

Am I correct ?

Solutions?
A friend who has a SMB says there may be air in the lines so I filled and Flushed the tank several times. The pump still runs.

Bob in Tucson, who paid too much for an SMB and looks like I'm going to pay more.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #2

No it always runs to pressurize the system. As long as it shuts off and stays off unless you turn the water on you're fine. Air in the system doesnt' do any damage, but when it comes out the tap you'll get a water bomb effect all over the van.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

Did you turn off the fill valve after filling with water? That will keep it circulating threw the system and cause the pump to not turn off.

Greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

I'm with Greg on this one. Check the filler valve.

And, at the same time I always turn off the pump when I'm not using the water. If the pump is on, there is pressure in the lines. If one should start to leak when you are not around (maybe your cat bumped the faucet at the sink) the pump will pump all the water out of the tank and keep running. Then you will have run down batteries, and a burned out pump. So, I turn the pump on when I want to run water and turn it off when I'm done.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Second turning off the pump. I had a small leak under the sink and if the pump was on it would leak water out, which caused a small stain in the carpet. Turned out to be a loose fitting.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
BC

those little grey fill valves at the tank have always been the source of my pump cycling issues, when they happen. Mostly manifested in repeated on-off cycling with pump on tho. Never had the continuous problem unless as others have said, valve is wide open. Try to adjust it slightly, sometimes the "off" position is slightly off where you think it would be. Next, try replacing the valve.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #7

Perhaps I'm a little confused here.

Is the pump supposed to run when I turn it on?

Or after I turn it on is it not supposed to run until I open the faucet?

Thanks to everybody for you help.

Bob in Tucson
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #8

Bob,
When you turn on the pump, you may here it start up until the line is full. It should then turn off, untill you open a faucet. When the fill valve is left open the pump will stay on and pump water back into the tank endlessly. So if it was left in the fill postion it would give you that symptom. That valve could also have gone bad. It is usally a gray valve close to the tank. If you filled the tank from city water (outside hook up) you would have had to turn this valve to do so. If you didn't turn the valve on then it is probably in the open position. Hopefully that is the case, as it is a cost free fix, I've owned my rig four years now and still ocasionaly forget to turn the valve when filling. Of course if that is not it, I would make sure the valve is not cracked etc, look for a leak, and then of course it could be the pump. I have copied some data from the Sportsmobile Manual.

SGW (SOMETHING GONE WRONG)
LOOSE PUMP HEAD
1. Any or all of the following problems can be caused by loose pump head screws.
MOTOR DOES NOT OPERATE
1. Is the battery charge too low? Are the wires disconnected? Is the switch in the “on” position? Is the fuse good? Is the pump frozen? If so, place a lamp bulb near the pump to thaw.
PUMP RUNS BUT WATER DOES NOT APPEAR
1. Is there water in the tank? Is air leaking into the inlet hose or fittings? Is the inlet line clogged. To check, remove the outlet hose and try again. If water flows the problem is further on in the system.
MOTOR RUNS BUT WATER SPUTTERS
1. Indicates air getting into the lines. Check hose and clamps on the input side of the pump. Restart and allow air to clear from the lines.
PUMP CYCLES (RAPID ON/OFF)
1. Cycling of the pump is normal if the flow of water is restricted to less than the flow capacity of the pump. For example, a faucet partially Opened. Under these conditions the pump will cycle on and off in a rhythmic interval.
ABNORMAL CYCLING
1. If the pump cycles on and off when all faucets are closed, something is wrong. Most likely there is a leak somewhere. Check faucets for dripping, especially the toilet valve if you have a Marine Toilet.
2. Correct any leak no matter how small. Also check the city water input.
3. If no leak can be detected, shut off the pump. Remove the output line. Insert a cap or plug in the open end. You can make a plug from a barb fitting with a cap tightly screwed on the threads.
4. If the fitting is threaded, use a cap or plug. Either way-there must be no leak. Turn the pump switch on. The pump should come on, run a few seconds and shut off. If the pump remains off, the problem is not the pump. The problem is in the system.
5. If, however, the pump goes on and off there may be a problem in the pump. There may be an internal pump leak which allows water to escape from the high pressure area back into the low pressure inlet area causing the pump to cycle. This may be caused by a valve held open by a foreign particle or by a crack in the casting.
PUMP DOES NOT SHUT OFF
1. The wall switch may be used for temporary control of the pump. A low battery may be the cause. Voltage should be 10.5 volts or more to the pump. If the motor runs but the pump does not switch off, there may be air in the lines or a valve problem.
2. Try valve replacement kit # 94-232-00. If the motor draws current but does not run, it may hum. It may be a switch problem. Try the switch replacement kit # 94-230.

Hope this helps, if not keep asking questions.

-Greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #9

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
A side note, has anyone added an air chamber to the pressure side to build up a pressure reserve? I could see this significantly reducing the cycling of a pump...

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #10

What are my possible SGWs for letting the pump run for hours? How do I test it to see if there is damage?