Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

Slider with a Powered Step Project Begins

Finally amputees like me, folks with other mobility issues and just any ol' person who has trouble getting in a E 350 Ford Van has a new option coming down pike!

This all began when Sportmobile & Disabled Explorers finished the WAVE (Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions) for SEMA last year (biggest aftermarket autoshow in the world for those not in the know). Sure the rig was perfect for someone in a wheelchair, but for anyone who could walk it was a challenge to step up & into.

The last day of the show I did some frantic looking around for any kind of rock slider or step that would help folks get in through the front doors but not get ripped off the rig when wheeling...and I found this thing:

It is new product created by for the JK Jeep Wrangler by these guys and was very very cool to see in person:

Here is a video from their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12545998774725

Sure there are sliders that will protect the body of the Ford van, but the way Sportsmobile builds these things sitting on ARB springs you don't often hear of people banging up the panels. Really the issue is getting in & out of something so high off the ground.
Of course I could just go with a hoop or something like that but then I risk more damage by having something low hanging that can caatch on rocks, stumps and such.

No what is needed is a slider that has a powered step that comes out & down then tucks up and away. And that is just what Rock Slide Engineering has created.

After much back and forth talk, working on schedules, planning, wishing and praying I drove from Phoenix to Logan Utah and dropped off the WAVE for the prototyping phase so these puppies can come into the world.

Mount Logan Off Road is the shop that has Rock Slide Engineering as an offshoot. And I can say that they seem to do some wicked nice work up there. I was greeting by these toys when I pulled in.

So the project has begun...I will be returning next Friday to pick up the rig before heading off to Iowa to support some disabled riders in the RAGBRAI bike event. Watch for updates here, on the Facebooks pages of Disabled Explorers and Rock Slide Engineering and if you are local to the Salt Lake City/Ogden/Logan area stop by and visit with the guys, see the project and let me know what you think.
The guys are gonna try to send pics through the process and if so then I will update as I get'em.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Re: Slider with a Powered Step Project Begins

This will be interesting to follow. I have a power running board on the drivers side of my 4X2 SMB, but it would be a problem in its current configuration on a 4X4 because it is not flush with the van body. All that said, I would not have enough stability to use something as narrow as the power step you are looking at so you might want to keep that in mind.

My running board lift is from Startracks.

Linda
lmsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

Re: Slider with a Powered Step Project Begins

I have AMP Powersteps for mine I just need to finish the mounting. The only hang down about 2in when folded aginst the body.