Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: Small Projects Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
But I guess you're not microwavable when packaged with that reflectix....
Meandering through this thread and I felt a need to bump Rob's comment on Reflectix insulation. Around Santa Fe, there are plenty of folks who would like that feature. It protects them from cell phone emissions, EMFs and little green men.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #42

Today i changed the oil of the tranny (4R100) and the filter. It was the first time i did this and it was a pain in the ass.....
A lot of the oil does not catch the bowl for it i took under the oil pan when i loose it.
So i decided to put an oil drain on the std pan.
The floor in front of my garage will be thankfull the next time....

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2377.jpg   IMGP2379.jpg   IMGP2381.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Today i changed the oil of the tranny (4R100) and the filter. It was the first time i did this and it was a pain in the ass.....
A lot of the oil does not catch the bowl for it i took under the oil pan when i loose it.
So i decided to put an oil drain on the std pan.
The floor in front of my garage will be thankfull the next time....

Very Nice! To make it even cleaner and easier do the 'pump' method, pumping the fluid out from the cooler (radiator) return line. I did it for the first time recently and it was MUCH neater and cleaner.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #44

My room mate got some FREE sound deadening material from his work. He works for a sunglass company and found this in the warehouse....odd. It's made by Rockford Fosgate and is called DeadSkin. Seems like pretty decent stuff and RF is a reputable brand so I went for it. Obviously the price was right and it took me about 4-5 hours to do the entire job. I doubled it up on top of the tranny and on the right side of the doghouse to try and muffle out some exhaust noise. I bought some seam tape and a roller from a local car stereo store. My advise is get the roller, skip the tape, and use lacquer thinner to prep the surface. That last line is KEY!!!

It seems to have done an OK job and making the cabin a tad quieter. I am glad I don't have anything more than a Friday nights worth a labor into it and about $20 in parts though. If I had bought the product I'd be disappointed.

Just wanted to share. - Nick

Attached Thumbnails
CO2012-3.jpg  
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
nicksandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #45

My RB50 layout is almost ideal - but am considering the possibility of removing the slider storage cabinets to expand the sleeping area width. Unknown if anyone has conisdered or done this, but would enjoy hearing about the logistics of a project of this nature.
DudleyTania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #46

Cedar plank shower mat

I wanted a mat that I would be able to sit in grass, sand, or mud that could just be washed off (or not) and stowed. My idea was to get a little higher off the ground than a regular mat so water won't pool at your feet.

Needed: 3-4 1x2 Cedar trim boards, cut in to 24" pieces. $3.50/per at Home Depot/Lowe's
Decent synthetic rope that will melt when heated (to hold the knots)
2 +/- ft. of 1/2 PVC, PEX or similar pipe. I used white PEX from Lowe's left over from my water heater project

Cut boards in to 24" lengths and drill them equally with a drill press, finished on a belt sander
Singe rope on one end and feed through, with 1/2" PEX pieces between
Knot ends as tightly as you can and melt them a little with a torch or lighter. Be careful here! Cedar board is very dry and you'll ugly up your boards with burns if you aren't careful. Ask me how I know.

First time I assembled this I just knotted the rope between each plank, and it rolled all over the place under my feet. The boards standing on end vs. laying flat is important to add enough height to stay out of the goop, so the PEX and really tight rope works perfectly. Holds my 200 lbs. without moving around at all now.

The tall boy is for reference only, and for later. Being cedar this mat is pretty light and will store easily in a roof box or Trasharoo, that way you don't have to worry about cleaning it or drying it after every use.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #47

Garage

Nice, used redwood for mine.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #48

Sweet! I like the hooks on the ends too.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #49

Garage

Have done one about the same of yours guys.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #50

Installed some white led strip light in my cabinets as well as remote USB ports throughout the cabinets..