Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #21

Yeah i agree with Herb, they look like self tapping sheet metal screws for a fast fix.

2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #22

Fiamma mounts

I have a good fix for all your awning troubles. I am just not able to post them yet. I was able to e-mail, I think, to PJPvi pictures of both the front and rear mounts. I have an 06 EB window van with PH top and driver side ladder. I was able to mount an 11' awning when SMB said it could not be done. No holes, no cheep screws, no slopy fixes. As I said in my other post, I am working with a local fabricator to reproduce for all those that may be intrested. I was abel to fabricate mine, but I would like a pro to make them for others. It is an easy bolt on application. It should work fine for the non window vans. Give me 2 weeks to see if I can get them made up befor you do anything drastic.

Eli
SMB Outfitters
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #23

Patiently waiting Eli!

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Is the plate intended to just spread the load? I don't like that the plates are attached with Philips head screws. I'd rather see bolts and corresponding nuts on the inside.

Herb
Well I don't disagree with Herb's statement at all. When I did my build this was one thing I should have been more clear about. I was expecting a reinforcement plate installed on the inside of the body before the wallboard went on, tapped so that the awning bracket could be bolted on. Unfortunately SMB had other thoughts. Lesson to others, draw a picture. (I'm an architect so I should have known this.) So this was an after the fact fix. Tearing down the interior finish is not in my plans unless this fix fails. Whether these are self tapping screws or well-bolts I don't know. I'm not going to back one out to find out. It may not be elegant, but it does distribute the load over a larger area and hence reduces the stress on the body panel.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Dave -

Please do post pictures of the re-repair by SMB. The pictures you posted of their first shot at it were less than impressive. Did they charge you for the fix or "warranty" it?

I really like having the awning. Especially after the Alaska trip I just took. I bet we used it at least 50% of the nights to provide some escape from the rain.

Thanks -
Phil
Phil, SMB did not charge for the repair and took care of it promptly. I have to agree with everything Charlie posted. There should be an inside plate. If a new method is found to hang the awning SMB should take notice and adopt it if it's sound. My problem was the repair (exactly like Charlie’s) leaked. Although SMB still couldn’t find why it leaked they went ahead and re-sealed it. I haven’t had and any more trouble to date but only time will tell. I have already posted my concerns.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #26

Thanks Dave. I'm sure SMB would do the same for me, but I'm interested in seeing what Eli's alternative is first. I agree that the proper method along SMB's thinking is to have a backup plate, but that requires digging into the interior walls.

Eli is trying to get some photos to me to post of his/her fix (sorry, the name Eli could be either and I'm not sure). Hopefully I'll have those soon.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #27

Here are the photos from Eli.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #28
Site Team

That's a nice, elegant solution, much more so that bolting or screwing into the van body. Are those brackets held in place with just tension from the bolts? Also, any problems with the PH top clearing the awning?

Great job! I'd get in touch with SMB and offer them an opportunity to buy your production brackets for their new builds.

Herb
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #29

Yeah they look great and i really like no drilling through the body. Seems like the way they should have been made from the getgo. Any wash board road testing yet?

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #30

Very sano fix. I like it.