Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Solar panel install

From August : "I finally installed a 155 watt ( 12.9 amps full sun) monocrystaline solar panel and a cheap 20 amp controller. I will add a mppt controller at a later date. I noticed the panel was not charging but realized that the controller has an automatic shutoff if the batteries are full so I turned on a couple of fans and my freezer. It started charging right away. I live in the Inland Empire in SoCal so although I don't like to do it that way,I did the install at night. I took it real slow so everything works fine. Started about 10:30pm and finished at 1:30 am". Here are my impressions and some unorthodox techniques I used.I used Eterna bond to help with the adhesion to the roof.I did this so I could use less screws and less holes into the roof.I gooped the places where the brackets are screwed down and has not leaked or pulled out.The place where the cables go through has leaked a little so today I eterna bonded it as well.I live in north San Bernardino and we have now had several violent windstorms with no adverse effect.Of course driving at 80mph has also had no effect but that could be because of aerodynamics? Wind storms are a little different because of the erratic wind directions.The $32 Chinese controller has performed very wellSorry about the blur it is a PWM brand controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo0351.jpg   Photo0349.jpg   Photo0353.jpg  

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: Solar panel install

I think I need to look into a new controller like yours w the auto shut-off.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

thanks for the write up. Where did you pull the wires from the solar panels down into the VAn?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

Straight through the roof then into the conduit for my flourescent light. I will take picture tomorrow.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote