Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

Sprinter 4x4 suspension upgrades

We should be starting a Sprinter 4x4 build at Sportsmobile West late this year, after a two year wait. Do they do VanCompass or Agile Off Road suspension installations? If they do,which one? And, is it worth the cost?

north40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #2

SMB will do neither as they'd lose their standing as a Mercedes master upfitter. You have to take your vehicle to one or the other, unless you want components of both. AO will install VC's skid plates for you. I suggest you carefully read the build threads of Fitz and BackCountryGuy. The most up to date with detailed reasoning is BCG's thread. Fitz's thread is the gold standard among Sprinter build threads, but BCG's is catching up rapidly.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:03 AM   #3

One of the reasons I asked was that VanCompass lists Sportsmobile West as a dealer. I see that they are not listed as an installer.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #4

SMB will install some VC non-suspension parts, see TomH’s comment above. There is a VC skid plate display there, plus we know they have installed the VC rocker guards and ladders in the past. The same issue exists with with Aluminess bumpers. SMB can install the rear bumper, but not the front.

There is an excellent thread on this topic on the Sprinter Forum, I suggest you read it in its entirety and then we can discuss specifics.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61433

You are in Idaho, Van Compass is in Post Falls, Idaho, Agile is in Santee CA. Seems like you should take a road trip and see for yourself.

Several members here have installed what you are interested in, all are happy. There are differences between the two, I have yet to see an unsatified customer of either.

If we aren’t out using the van, which we often are, Flint is sitting on a flat piece of concrete in Walnut Creek (about 3 hours from Fresno) and there is a creeper in the garage. Come on over and you can see the full Van Compass package and talk to a very satisfied owner!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

TomH and Fitz, thank you for your knowledge. Did the suggested research, although after the first 19 pages on sprinter-source, my head hurt. Because of locality and Fitz satisfaction with VC, will go with Van Compass. Doing a lift will be determined after putting the van in the garage for the first time without upgrade (2yrs and waiting).
Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by north40 View Post
...after the first 19 pages on sprinter-source, my head hurt....
HaHa. Yea! I know that feeling. That seems to be the case for anyone carefully planning one of these builds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by north40 View Post
Because of locality and Fitz satisfaction with VC, will go with Van Compass.
The decision is, of course, yours to make. Personally, I would drive the extra distance if I thought one was better than the other. Below is Alex's reasoning for going with AO rather than VC. If you haven't read it, I would recommend at least giving it a look before making the final decision.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post238709
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

I would at the very least put properly tuned fox shocks and an add-a-leaf on the rear, which will quickly lead to adding front shocks and possibly sumo springs to the front. After that I would get 33s, might need to trim a bit, and then maybe add a skid plate or two. The lift can come later once you figure out exactly how you want to use the van.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

I have a 2016 4x4 sprinter with pop top. I had Agile install skid places and their Agile RIP set up. For me they worked out both in references and I live in San Diego. The crew at Agile great quality and service plus their follow up.

The Agile set up made a huge difference in the ride.
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension upgrade