Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 AM   #1

starting with a clean sheet, need some advice for a newbie..

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so a little about myself. I've been looking at buying a Sportsmobile for the last decade, but because of the cost I've had to sit on the sidelines for along time until now.
I recently came along a Blue 2006 EB E350 Power Stroke 4x4, after doing all the research on the van, i finally decided to get off the curb & jump.
The van only has a driver & passengers seats, so I working with a clean sheet here. So I've started looking for a lot of parts & advice on what to do.
I would like to build a "transformer" style van because we have 4 kids & being able to use it for motorcycles, camping, traveling etc. really appeals to us.
So here's a quick list of the things I'm looking for to start making our dream a reality. Finding as much of this used would be great, but I'm realistic. So some advice on good brands, things to look out for, things I should/need to do, etc.. all is extremely welcomed.

List:
Performance products for the Power Stroke... for better milage & longevity.
Removable seat bases
awning
Front & rear brush guard
Roof Rack
furnace
Pop Top
Lights
Wench
Etc.

So if anyone one out there would like to share, please by all means, if anyone has these things and are looking to get rid of them, please...
Cheers all and Thanks in advance, I'm stoked to be in the SM family (even though it's not quite there yet).

Jamie
SLC, Utah / Jackson Hole, Wyoming

I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #2

I have an awning that I never used, it's in excellent condition, good enough so SMB Austin offered to sell it for me after I asked them to take it off the van. I can find out for you if it's still there.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #3

Garage
welcome!

I might be getting rid of my Reunel Front Bumper w/ Brush guard here in the near future, it is also winch ready. The price would be right....

As a bonus I'm just up the hill in Heber.

-d
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #4

Perfect
Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #5

Looks like you may need a tire carrier and back door ladder.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Is Fresno going to do the PH top? I have an extra load warrior roof basket but may or may not have the towers and bars. Tracks would have to be installed in the top. I also should have a rear box made out of chrome like diamond plate that holds 4 jerry cans, wood or a generator. It's set up to go on the back of a aluminess bumper. All these can be seen in my album. Don't know your time frame but it can be dropped at Fresno.

Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

A wench will be hard to find. They stopped making good ones in the middle ages I think.
I bought a used van and have begun the "conversion". The penthouse top will need to be installed by an SMB dealer. Fresno did a fine job on my van in one day!!! It's a perfect place for sleeping. I also have a removeable bed mounted at window level across the back of the van. This give me a 24" high storage space that is 40" deep and as wide as the van.
I put down a 3/4" plywood floor with marine vinyl covering. Then you have a good base to mount stuff to. Totally flat and easy to clean.
Removeable seat bases are also going to be tough. The basic van seats are quick release but the brackets remain.
I kept one of my 3 seats and have one set of brackets in the middle seat position.
If your van was a cargo van the mounting holes for seats may not be there.
Be very careful with custom seat mounts. Be sure they are bolted into the frame.
You also need to have seat belts which can be a problem as an aftermarket set up.
Good Luck...I'm having fun doing mine.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #8

Seating Questions

WOW,
Thanks all for everything, please keep it coming.
I also looking for some assistance with installing some seats.
My van is a EB "work" van so all I have are the front seats, which are also being replaced with Corbeau seats as soon as i figure out how to mount them (having a really hard time getting them to work).
Also looking to purchase some captain chairs (along with the mounting hardware) for the second set, then in the very back I'm trying to find and install a bench/bed.
All of the seats need, seat belts & mounting hardware, so if anyone has advice on any of this, seats, seat belts, hardware or on how to set this all up, please speak up.
Thanks SMF Members!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #9

Rear bed

Adventurerider,

I have a transformer from SMB. I was not happy with the bed setup from SMB, so i desinged one using load bars from a semi that gives me a large bed at the window line and a very large storage area under the bed. I also have a Norcol 3 cf fridge that came out of my van. I am looking at the engel/ arb as a better option. I also posted about the seats.

Eli
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #10

PecksTank

PecksTank,

Thanks for all the advice, I would really dig seeing pic's of the bed, fridge & seat set up you did, so if you have time please post them or email them to me.
To all the rest, again thanks for all the help, extra parts & advice, please keep it coming. I just started this project and it's going to be a few before it's complete!
Cheers to all & happy motoring!