Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #21

Re: steel vs. aluminum bumpers

I ended up going with a UJOINT front bumper. Hopefully I won't have to test it on any critters, but it does seem really stout up the middle. It has 2.5 inch pipe around the corners. Ultimately the light weight and the cost were the deciding factors for me. FYI - I recently took a new job in Utah. I failed the safety inspection required to register the vehicle in Utah, due to there not being at least 4" of bumper coverage from corner to corner. (plus you need mud flaps for a lifted vehicle) Fortunately I still have the old bumper......and the ability to continue colorado residency. I guess I could always fab some more tubing on the corners, which might not be a bad idea anyway. Thanks for all the feedback!

Attached Thumbnails
snowdrift.JPG  

Diamond Eye Exhuast
Dp Tuner
calebmogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #22

Looks great, I love the yellow too.

We switched from Reunel to Aluminess. Weight was the primary reason. I think we could have A-teamed into a building with that Reunel on the front.

-John
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #23

Garage

I unfortunately hit a deer some weeks ago at probably about 35 mph. I was driving about 60 mph in the dark and made an emergency braking to try to avoid collision. Almost manage to avoid it but he jumb right in front of VivaLaVida at the last second. It made a loud "bang" and he was killed outright. Definitely no trace on the Aluminess bumper, you cannot see anything...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
I unfortunately hit a deer some weeks ago at probably about 35 mph. I was driving about 60 mph in the dark and made an emergency braking to try to avoid collision. Almost manage to avoid it but he jumb right in front of VivaLaVida at the last second. It made a loud "bang" and he was killed outright. Definitely no trace on the Aluminess bumper, you cannot see anything...
Did you make venison sausage?

-John
Old 12-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #25

Garage

No, I didn't. To be honest, I was a little shocked to have killed such a nice animal...
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:

No, I didn't. To be honest, I was a little shocked to have killed such a nice animal...
Unfortunate, but too often people will swerve off the road in order not to hit an animal, and end up in a far greater accident. Glad you and your rig are OK. You may want to check your van frame where the bumper attaches just in case there was some hidden damage.

Many times there are local people/organizations that will harvest large animal roadkill and provide the meat to the needy.

Herb
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #27

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Unfortunate, but too often people will swerve off the road in order not to hit an animal, and end up in a far greater accident. Glad you and your rig are OK. You may want to check your van frame where the bumper attaches just in case there was some hidden damage.
You're right Herb but I definitely prefer to kill a deer than going out of the road...
Of course I checked VivaLaVida carefully, there is really no damage. Just had to adjust a bumper light back, that's all.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Glad to hear you guys came ahead. Also Good to know that the bumper held up. I'm sure Aluminess would love to hear that story.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #29

I love my steel Buckstop. I think it was an early one, if not the prototype. I picked up my van from Quadvan in January '09 and we had to wait a day for it to be driven over a local pass due to snow. The guy from Buckstop brought it in his pickup. I have an Aluminess on the rear and really like that, as well.

I think it's a natural instinct to tense up and flinch when confronted with a deer. I always remind myself to stay on the road. I hit a deer once when my friend and I were in his Trooper in northern Nevada. It just jumped out of seemingly nowhere. We were doing over 70. If he had swerved, we'd both have been in a severe rollover situation. Instead, the Trooper was totaled (he managed to bring it back to life later on) but we were fine. We sat there wondering why the airbags never activated.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #30

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Deer seem to run into me. I've been hit in the side twice, both denting the truck - no bumper would have helped.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote