Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #31

Re: steel vs. aluminum bumpers

So the highschool I went to had driver's training. I drove last with two students in the back and the instructor on the passenger right with a second steering wheel. We were driving out in the Blossom Hill area (IIRC) and I thought I was the man, because I could talk while driving on a straight two lane farmland road when a huge German Shepard out of nowhere stepped right in front of the car. I hit the brakes, and swerved into the opposing lane facing what could have been oncoming traffic.

The dog disappeared as quickly as it appeared. When the instructor asked, "Did you check to see if there were cars coming before you hit the brakes?" I said no I didn't even think, I just hit the brakes. He said, "Next time, hit the dog!"

Fast foward to 2013 where I did a season of Sundays as a Mountain Host at a local ski resort with among other great skiers, a one-legged skier. When I asked how he lost his leg he told me he was driving home on the levee road at night when he saw a racoon in his headlights which he swerved to avoid, driving off the levee into a tree in the process. The next thing he remembered was when they were cutting the car off of him. His leg was later amputated at the hospital.

A leg for a racoon.

My wife and I now drive together that same levee road in the dark going to work and coming home.

I hope my wife and I will remember what I learned from the driving instructor and from my one-legged engineer skiing buddy.

Hit the dog/racoon/deer.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #32

Re: steel vs. aluminum bumpers

We have tons of deer here in Pennsylvania, including three in my backyard yesterday. We hit one a few years ago in our Honda minivan. No fun, but beats swerving into oncoming traffic. I've read that in some European countries (Austria comes to mind) it's actually illegal to swerve to avoid an animal in the road. Makes sense.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote