Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #11

Re: Sticker problem

I also recommend a heat gun. Not only for stickers, but they have a lot of uses and are a good addition to your home toolbox. Great for removing stickers, paint, softening anything plastic or rubber (like weatherstripping), quick drying or removing glue, etc. etc. That said, I have dealt with the same stickers you speak of which a heat gun won't help. I would like to try the eraser wheel for these and plan to get one eventually.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... s=heat+gun

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

I usually slowly move up the food chain on solvents when applying to paint or plastic.....start with alcohol (isopropyl, not beer!), then mineral spirits, acetone, and finally brake cleaner.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
Site Team

Whatever you do, don't do what I did and try a heat gun to remove stickers on a gel coated penthouse roof. Not one of my brighter moments.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

One of the reasons I prefer hot water over a heatgun, is it impossible to get too hot. A heatgun can damage many surfaces, while a hot sunny day may get surfaces hotter than boiling water.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
I usually slowly move up the food chain on solvents when applying to paint or plastic.....start with alcohol (isopropyl, not beer!), then mineral spirits, acetone, and finally brake cleaner.
Just my $0.02: Be careful with mineral spirits, acetone and brake cleaner. Test those on a non-visible painted area first.

And don't use carburetor cleaner! It will take the paint off with the glue!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #16

Garage

Avoid the lighter fluid. Get a small can of naphtha at the paint store.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
...I would like to try the eraser wheel for these and plan to get one eventually.
all the methods listed here work fine for removing old stickers, but why chip at anything with anything for hours on end when all you gotta do is put that wheel in a cordless and be done with it in a matter of seconds?? i have yet to find a sticker (or pinstripes, or that foam crap under factory emblems, or graphics...etc) that the eraser wheel cant remove. i removed all oem e350 emblems (x3), the quigley badges (x3), and the 4x4 stickers (x2) off of my van in about 20 minutes total. only one i didnt take off was the ford oval and thats cause it had holes behind it.

seriously gents, eraser wheels rule for this kinda crap. plus its another reason to use a power tool duh.

thee only issue ive ever ran into using an eraser wheel was exposing lazy paint peoples work. sometimes repair guys only paint to a pinstripe after an accident. removing pin stripes after those situations exposes a paint line
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #18

I just finished removing a bunch of stickers and RV decals off a GTRV I bought. The 3M eraser wheel was the ticket!!! I did have to use just a little Goof Off to remove a bit of glue in some tight places.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
...I would like to try the eraser wheel for these and plan to get one eventually.
all the methods listed here work fine for removing old stickers, but why chip at anything with anything for hours on end when all you gotta do is put that wheel in a cordless and be done with it in a matter of seconds?? i have yet to find a sticker (or pinstripes, or that foam crap under factory emblems, or graphics...etc) that the eraser wheel cant remove. i removed all oem e350 emblems (x3), the quigley badges (x3), and the 4x4 stickers (x2) off of my van in about 20 minutes total. only one i didnt take off was the ford oval and thats cause it had holes behind it.

seriously gents, eraser wheels rule for this kinda crap. plus its another reason to use a power tool duh.

thee only issue ive ever ran into using an eraser wheel was exposing lazy paint peoples work. sometimes repair guys only paint to a pinstripe after an accident. removing pin stripes after those situations exposes a paint line
Cool Shenrie, I'm sold, I'll try it! Here's a great price on one and it is well reviewed. Looks like you can pay 2 to 3 times more for a 3m or the like if you want too.

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries-Sm ... aser+wheel

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

Garage

^^^ thats what i paid for mine locally (same brand as well) at a auto paint supply place 10+ years ago, but i didnt get that nice little adapter

i still have over half the life left on mine too. its a little out of round after loaning it out to a dipshit, but still works flawlessly. youll be happy with the purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot
...I did have to use just a little Goof Off to remove a bit of glue in some tight places.
that is the downside to the wheel, it doesnt always fit in tight places, but glad to hear it worked for ya!

i did have some reservations using the wheel on our 08 tl as the paint was still flawless. however, all i needed after i was done was a little wax touchup so that the paint around where the emblem was, matched how nice/shiney the paint was under the emblem.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote