Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Garage
Suitcase Solar

I have 2 large panels on my van and do a lot of winter camping where sun angle limits solar big time. Being a e-bike diy’er this came across my email today. Very nice form factor and 200a of nice sun power panels. I plan on using the provided controller for actual ebike charging but the main thing will be additional strategic solar power. Thought I would share.

https://www.electrifybike.com/produc...ePTrZau.W6DwQ6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	41177

Name:	IMG_5357.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	41178

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	41179

Old 09-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #2

Garage
Those look nice, and I like the fact they had the foresight to include a controller that will accommodate 2 panels. I didn’t see it in the description, so I’m assuming they don’t have the special outer protective coating on them???
Old 09-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

Pretty slick unit, thxs for sharing!

You mention "additional", is that to supplement your roof panels? I am wondering about the "voltage to battery" compatibility via the included controller. The lowest range seems to 24 volt output. Do you have a way around this?
Old 09-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Garage
I would use a different method on the van than the included. Yes I have rooftop now but want the flexibility of moving a tilted ground panel into the winter sun. I will have to add an input for additional panels. I paused my order to make sure this is the best option.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Here are a couple more blanket solution from Lensun, 200 watt, 360 watt.

These are both with out a controller, but you can a kit with controller if you like.

For those of you running higher voltage mounted panels, they also sell the 200 watt blanket as a 36 volt option.

Lensun also carries a lot of foldable suitcase options, as with any thing solar look away for a few months and comeback and you will see something newer and possible better.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Garage
Greg - haven't seen this before, I like those Lensun "blankets" - especially since they also use the ETFE film. "Different from other brand PET solar panel, the transmittance of ETFE material as high as 95%, better at high temperature resistance, anti-corrosion, anti-fouling, easier to clean"
For what & where we use these, I personally would only consider panels which include that film.
That big 360wt "blanket" looks like it would fit very well laying across the top of the awning when its deployed.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #7

Felix,

I agree, I like that they are already fitted with a Anderson-pole option that will fit my existing auxiliary solar inputs. The big problem is which one, go big or smaller. The blankets pack a lot of power in small storage footprint. I still also like the their 160 watt foldable panel, giving you the ability to angle the panels for the best performance.

This topic came up a couple of months ago, they don't have a good picture but they now carry a hood mounted 105 watt panel for Ford E350

-greg
Old 09-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #8

Garage
I would go with two of the 200wt. Easy enough to set both up, and IMO more convenient to use two smaller ones than be limited to one large. Besides, two of the 200wt provides slightly more amps at a lower price.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #9

Garage
I still don't understand the permanently mounted "hood" concept. I would think the heat from the engine would limit their lifespan, plus you still need the van in the sun for it to be useful.
And, if only temporarily laying it across the hood (not permanently fixed), then i's stand by my last comment - still needs to be in the sun which would heat up the inside of the cab.
I just see (and have experienced) more benefit having suitcases deployed on a long cord.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I would go with two of the 200wt. Easy enough to set both up, and IMO more convenient to use two smaller ones than be limited to one large. Besides, two of the 200wt provides slightly more amps at a lower price.
I was thinking one 200wt blanket and one 160 foldable kit, there are some times of the year and or time of day, that angling can get you a little more. If not nothing keeps you from laying them flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I still don't understand the permanently mounted "hood" concept. I would think the heat from the engine would limit their lifespan, plus you still need the van in the sun for it to be useful.
And, if only temporarily laying it across the hood (not permanently fixed), then i's stand by my last comment - still needs to be in the sun which would heat up the inside of the cab.
I just see (and have experienced) more benefit having suitcases deployed on a long cord.
Pretty much in the same line of thought hear, I do like the availability of a hard mounted panel when traveling, so when I stop I can keep some power going into if needed, for the many times you are forced in the sun.

It would be great to test these panels and see the what the engine temp effects were. The 105 wt panel has a high output voltage, that might make up for some of the temperature related issues.

There is at least the option if someone wanted.

-greg