Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #1

Swap 2014 E series steering wheel?

Hello all.

I have the plane super old style steering wheel with just cruise control. I notice the newer cutaways have a steering wheel from I think the F series that has audio control as well as the cruise control.

I have seen some talk about it and it seems like it would work from what everyone says, but then the posts I found never update with finished work or a guide.

Anyways thanks for ya all's time!

kalabaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #2

My advice....be better than those that went before you...they either abandoned it due to time or incompatibility or finished the job and are livin life!
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #3

In the same vein, I'd like to have a leather wrapped steering wheel (factory, not aftermarket). Can't find a thing on this anywhere.. seems to be a unicorn.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
My advice....be better than those that went before you...they either abandoned it due to time or incompatibility or finished the job and are livin life!
If you or someone else on this forum can help me compare part numbers and all that stuff for the 2014 e250 I have to the 2020-21 model cutaway or ~2014 Expeditions or F series? I will be happy to report my results ( but wont be for a few months since this is kind of low priority and pricy compared to other things I need to do with the van. )

I wont be able to do the actual swap for a bit until I save some money since just the steering wheel with out the airbag is like 220$.

Right now I am just planning and getting an idea of all the parts I need.
kalabaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaddon View Post
If you or someone else on this forum can help me compare part numbers and all that stuff for the 2014 e250 I have to the 2020-21 model cutaway or ~2014 Expeditions or F series? I will be happy to report my results ( but wont be for a few months since this is kind of low priority and pricy compared to other things I need to do with the van. )

I wont be able to do the actual swap for a bit until I save some money since just the steering wheel with out the airbag is like 220$.

Right now I am just planning and getting an idea of all the parts I need.
I don't have either of those vehicles, but I'm sure someone around here does...can probably find all the part number info online too....question will be does it fit...maybe search some of the forum posts for the clock spring replacement if you want to eyeball things when people pull the wheel off...next question would be what stereo are you going to put in there and will it use the same audio controls? Not sure if any aftermarket stereos use the stock steering wheel controls, but some might.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
In the same vein, I'd like to have a leather wrapped steering wheel (factory, not aftermarket). Can't find a thing on this anywhere.. seems to be a unicorn.
Interesting, wouldn't mind one of those myself...amazing how much that changes the driving experience.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
Interesting, wouldn't mind one of those myself...amazing how much that changes the driving experience.
This looks like the part. Discontinued everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-10-11_185310.jpg   2002-ford-e350-van-1L3Z-3600-EAA1.jpg  
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

There are salvage yards full of em. Same wheel that was on a ton of trucks too I'm pretty sure. Should be a very cheap experiment.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #9

I've got a Junkyard wood and leather wrapped steering wheel off a Lincoln Navigator that I'm hoping will be a swap for mine, and will add Cruise. Problem is the air bag cover does not match.
That project is on hold though, as I'm still assembling my engine and brakes and chasing HPOP issues.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote