Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Re: Swapping Tops

I noted on their website they have something they call "Arctic canvas," two layer canvas with insulation inside (we call that a quilt...). Did you get that? Seems like a great idea; I'd love to retrofit something like that although the thought of taking the top off to do is not a pleasant one.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
New top is installed, free spin hub kit going in tomorrow am. When we get back from Moab, rack and lights.

Sure looks sharp.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I noted on their website they have something they call "Arctic canvas," two layer canvas with insulation inside (we call that a quilt...). Did you get that? Seems like a great idea...
sounded like a great idea to me too, so we opted for the upsell when i orderd our top, along with the insulation he offers. even with the multilayer canvas and foam, its still very pliable and easy to fold/bend/roll up etc when putting top down and into stow mode.

...and wow ref, that top looks great! looks much better color matched. can you post some pix with the top down?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

x2

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Swapping Tops

Yes, went with the insulated canvas, enjoyed our maiden voyage with our new top to Moab last week. Here's some pics

It's back with Derek now getting the rack w/lights and solar panel, inverter and some more new front end bits this week.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #16

Garage

that is such a great color....looks great ref! that top looks a lot better colormatched and installed. do you know how tall the outside of the rig is now with the top? thing looks huge! i have an 8' ceiling with his old setup, looks like you got another couple feet of space up there. lots of room to grow, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #17

Yep, looks nice Ref! My wife could walk around with the top completely down with my CCV roof, and to increase walk around space even more, I unbolted the front folding bed section and replaced the bolts with cotter pins, that way we could just disconnect it and stow it up top pushed towards the back. We strapped it down for road travel so it wouldn't come flying forward in the event of an accident. For those of you who haven't realized the OTHER benefit of a tall top like that, it's STORAGE! Lots of it. Here's a quick list of what I stored up top in my EB van with the top down.

4 sleeping bags
4 pillows
various sheets/blankets
broom
slide on awning
2 small duffel bags
all reflectix panels
golf umbrella
whatever jackets/coats we took

and we could still stuff more when needed.

Enjoy Rick!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
REF

Yes, the storage space and being able to leave our bedding up there was one of our main reasons for going for it, that and the bigger bed, the first night we crawled up there it seemed cavernous! Derek's new fiberglass is wider at the top, providing even more space to push the motors and lift arms out to the corners, providing an even wider bed platform, the 2 front sections of the bed can be removed, they are not bolted in, we found it easy enough to flip the first one up onto the second one giving us more headroom in the front section when the top is down, we were thinking of adding a strap to secure it as well, but its pretty snug as is. We were able to store our double sleeping bag, 4 pillows, a blanket and then shove our jackets on top of it. The space above the cab is now Lakes bed, Derek put a stub wall up providing a security barrier so he doesn't roll out and we put in a cushion, so nice to have his own cozy space, at least for the next couple years before he outgrows it, then it will be even MORE storage space! but as is we are able to leave his bedding up there. I'll post up some pics of the interior when I get it back.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

Looks great with the top down, ours is going up to Derek end of May. We too decided on the high top based on storage and the ability to lift the top with stuff still on the roof.

Just missed seeing yours in person, we were down there last Thursday.

What are you doing for a roof rack? I ordered the 60" Yakima tracks, Derek suggested going with two sets for longer rack options.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
REF

Having him fab up a custom rack, I had thought of doing the tracks as that's what I did on the original top and liked it, but we went with the vent fan and need to mount up the solar panel so a custom rack is needed.
CCV High Profile Pop Top