Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Garage
Sway Bar Link Replacement

I heard a clunk under the van today while crossing a parking lot..... there was a pothole but non the less it was a parking lot, grrrrrrrr. It turned out the front right sway bar link broke at the top connection.

This may be a silly question but where do I find a new one, or two, with bushings? It was a bear to remove and the bushing sleeve is still on the stud. I'll get the sleeve off later but for now I need a parts source. Anybody?

2010 E350 6.0L Diesel.... just got it back from bulletproofing 5 days ago.

Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-5243.jpg  

Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Garage
Sportsmobile West carries these. They are part of the SMB 4x4 package, are custom made and only available from SMB.
It was suggested I replace both sides including bushings at a cost of $90. No big deal and now I will have a spare in the vehicle.

Mine were very difficult to remove from the bottom studs. It took tons of penetrant lube, crow bars, a small sledgehammer, heat and over an hour to remove the good one. Both sides were heavily rusted on both sides of the bushings. Clearly this defeats the purpose of a 'quick release' link. I assume these were never removed by the first owner in 7 years (I am second owner of 8 months). SMB suggests that these are removed and greased every time you service the vehicle. That will certainly be a part of my maintenance plan from here on.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
I've broke several pins over the years. Usually the rod link itself is OK but I did have one that looked the same after hitting a rough trail. In my case it was a rouge hole that I hit and heard a loud pop. Most of the time I never hear the pins break. I don't carry a link but do have spare lock keys, inserts, and pins on board. At least my van handles fine with the links pulled so it doesn't cause a field emergency that requires attendance until after I get home. As far as pulling them, it is a bit difficult. Much easier to have a second person to help move the vehicle so the strain is off the side you're trying to get off. A short web ratchet strap makes things easier if I'm by myself. I also carry a short handle hammer and an impact socket used as a driver to tap the insert and washer back on the stud. Now days I pull at least one link before leaving pavement.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #4

Does anyone know the part# for the quick disconnect sway bar link bushings?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

Garage
I would assume SMB sells the bushings. My new bars came with new bushings included.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
At least my van handles fine with the links pulled so it doesn't cause a field emergency that requires attendance until after I get home. .
This is all new to me, I've never had a van with coil springs or sway bars. Since your van handles fine with the links pulled, why have all the added complication and expense? I can only assume the handling is far better when everything is working, but how hard is it to get by without? I do know they limit your articulation off road, but I assume the compromise must be worth while.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
This is all new to me, I've never had a van with coil springs or sway bars. Since your van handles fine with the links pulled, why have all the added complication and expense? I can only assume the handling is far better when everything is working, but how hard is it to get by without? I do know they limit your articulation off road, but I assume the compromise must be worth while.

Yes it is worth it on some trails. At the same time while linked up, the van doesn't sway as much in cornering. But with my springs it is difficult to tell a link has broke out unless I push the limits such as taking a corner too fast. I've just accepted that while going into questionable areas it's best to pull em off.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02184p.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote