Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #1

swing away spare tire rack?

I have a 92 Dodge B350 . The spare tire hanging on the rear door stops it from fully opening. It has cracked the tailight. Swing away carriers are very expensive. Wondering if there is a fix? Do I really need a spare? I dont go off road. I had a Trek for 7 years without a spare. Thanks Henry

acudoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #2

Garage
I would never go out without a spare, unless I was confident AAA was close by and could respond in a reasonable time (assuming they would cover you based on your location). I say this, but have had a couple vehicles that didn’t have a spare - they were equipped with run-flat’s. I’ve had 5 nails in the tires on my X5 in the last 14 months, and traveled with no issue. last flat we had prior to this was over 20 years ago, so you never know when it will happen. How lucky do you feel?
Without photos of what your swing out set up looks like, you’ll probably only get a bunch of suggestions that are just a shot in the dark. Can’t believe you can’t have something fabricated that would limit the travel of the unit. But agin, without a picture that statement is just an educated guess.
Post us a picture or two.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Garage
Maybe you could space the tire out so it doesn't hit when opened.

Large numbers of new cars don't have spares precisely because these days it is rare. The problem is either you have to wait for a response or carry tools and supplies to fix a flat. I haven't had a flat that needed a tire change in about 10 years. I have had to fix a few flats or tire punctures. I carry a pump and tire plug kit.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #4

I can make a stop so that it doesn't hit the tail light. BUT I really want to be able to swing the back doors wide open to see out etc. Trying to figure a way to do that. Saw a youtube that a woman used a fold down 4 bike rack that she modified to carry a tire.
acudoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #5

Not sure what your definition of "expensive" is, but this seems like a popular and well built option. Not cheap by any means, but less expensive than some of the integrated bumper/tire mount solutions.

Though I guess it would probably prevent you from opening your door all the way.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote