Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Switching a pop top to high top?

Anyone do this? Any threads out there on this? What kind of cost am I looking at? I figure the top will be around $2,500 - $3,500 painted plus $1,500 for uninstall of pop top and install of high top? Am I way off?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Re: Switching a pop top to high top?

Factor in that you could sell your poptop (assuming it's in good condition) for upwards of $3000.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

I would call Sportsmobile TX and CA for quotes as well as getting quotes from other providers. I am happy with the Voyager top that I have, but the person who normally installs the tops was not at TX the day I arrived (I prepaid ~$4,500? and made an appointment and drove from CA* so they knew I was coming and what I was coming for). As a result, my headliner was not cut the nicest. Additionally, the top developed leaks from driven rain along the lower front edge where it mates to the van roof.

Here's the deal: Start a thread on how to install a high top and/or what to tell your installer to do when installing a high top. Insist on their best installer and then let them know that you insist on being present and watching the installation.

I work on my van myself now because nobody ever cares as much about your investment as you do.

Yes, I could have had the leak repaired under warranty at SMB Fresno, CA (3 hours away, one way) if I called SMB TX and got authorization to have the warranty work done by SMB Fresno, CA. Would you consider that plus the 3 hour one way drive a hassle? I did and as a result plan to fix it to my standards (likely with butyl rubber) one of these Summer weeks/months.

* I thought I wanted the Cruiser top, which SMB Fresno, CA did not have but SMB TX had. When I saw them side by side at SMB TX I opted for the Voyager top, which of course I could have gotten at anytime at SMB Fresno, CA.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #4

I considered doing this (and maybe wrote about it on the forum but can't remember). I had an RB PH top in good condition. Someone PM'ed me and offered me $1000 for the top (picked up at the place I was would have gotten the new top), but in the end I decided not to do it, because I really wanted an EB or something else with a bit more space in back and I thought maybe my van was too "old" to be doing something so major to. Also the timing just didn't work out right (was winter, top shop was in mountains, etc.)

In retrospect, I kind of wish I had gone through with it as I really liked my SMB and never did find another "just right" one with a high top already that wouldn't have cost much more anyway.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

I was looking at doing a high top on my van also. was talking to romeo and a few other smb members who wanted to get together and get a good price. all the research that romeo did we were still looking at around 7000 dollars. decided against it and every time I raise my top and have the open feeling, im glad I didn't do it.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #6

I've got a voyager top, if your interested I'm actually thinking of selling her. Let me know. Thanks.