Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: This should be interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
... for extended driving without engine power, I think the electric hydro pump could draw down the batteries quick. you would probably have to run a 12-volt umbilical to the tow vehicle for any extended towing.
Anything to get me out of the backcountry. With the house batteries that might be enough.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

Anything to get me out of the backcountry. With the house batteries that might be enough.
I can think of a simpler solution:

Those mil-spec tow bars are rated for at least 20-tons, don't take a lot of space folded, and since it's a rigid connection you can tow dead vehicle without brakes.

I flat-towed a school bus from Utah to Portland with a home-built pintle-hitch tow bar, since I hadn't seen those military ones yet. Even though the bus was substantially heavier than the van, and I had no way to power the bus brakes (RV brake-buddy's won't work with HydroBoost!), it towed fine. Even when the iphone took us on a cross-dessert off-road jaunt when we were looking for a lake to jump in and freshen up. Pintle hitches take a lot more off-camber motion than a traditional ball-mount, and can't be overloaded during braking (ball couplers are strongest when weight is pushing down... for flat towing the pawl takes the full load, which I don't like). Most surprising was how well the van could engine brake in low gear with that much weight. It really did a lot better than I expected.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Yeah, that is a solution and if possible I would use the easiest and less expensive method to get me out but pulling a heavy rig with a tow bar might be trouble even with another SMB as the tow vehicle. Steering might also pose a problem but no brakes could lead to a disaster.

Attached Thumbnails
Bald Mtn.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote