Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Tires for 1991 ford e350 Sportsmobile

Got a smoking deal on 16.5x8 and 16.5x6.5 wheels with Kelly Safari 31x10.5r16.5 tires, 8x6.5 lug pattern.

Not sure how to find the answer to my question other than asking here.

How would the fitment be on my van? Rubbing?

TIA

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357782146.531224.jpg  

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Tires for 1991 ford e350 Sportsmobile

i cant say if they will rub, and it might just be the picture, but every wheel appears to have a different offset.

my main concern would be that they are the same exact diameter around being that they are on different width wheels. sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesnt, but dont take a chance with your diffs.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i cant say if they will rub, and it might just be the picture, but every wheel appears to have a different offset.

my main concern would be that they are the same exact diameter around being that they are on different width wheels. sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesnt, but dont take a chance with your diffs.
Never considered the diffs. So it's not recommended to run different with wheels front/back?

They are all the same tire size and diameter.

TIA
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10068

The way I take it is if you have a flat and what kind of diff it is.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #5

Garage

like in that thead you just dont want different sized tires when rolling. for a bit is fine, but long term effects can be really bad. and honestly, if you put the skinnier wheels in front and the wider ones in back, you likley wont have any issues as you will more than likley be in more forgiving conditions when in 4wd so that even if they arent turning at the same rate, the loose conditions will compenate.

even though the tires are the same size, putting them on different width wheels can (not always, but like i said depends on the setup and tire) change the overall diameter. i know it seem minoot, but even being just a little off can destroy a diff, especially a lsd. think about it. you have 2 tires on your back axle. one is 1/4" less in overall diameter. how much farther is the smaller tire going to travel compared to the larger tire in a 500 mile road trip? this is the reason a tire shop wont change just one tire on a awd car.

and the offset wont hurt anything, but it might look kinda goofy. Id check the back spacing on those wheels. seriously, in the pic, every one looks different than the next.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

I'll slap the wider wheels on the rear and skinnier ones in front to see how it looks. Not sure o mentioned this or not but my '91 is 2wd.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

And that its older. With all the ABS and computer controlled stuff nowdays, I'd understand if it might be a problem. My 67 has much larger tires in the rear compared to the front. I would think much wouldn't matter if the rear is a one legged diff either. How many cars do you see running a small spare. Now my 96 Impala ss came with the same size spare because of the LSD.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have LSD.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

The only thing I'd worry about would be the age of the tires. Wouldn't want your folks to crash cause of a blowout. The rims??? Donno

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
The only thing I'd worry about would be the age of the tires. Wouldn't want your folks to crash cause of a blowout. The rims??? Donno
Thx for your concern