Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Toyo Tire Failure?

Please share your story(s) and pix about problems with Toyo Open Country tires. It is true that they are expensive, hard-to-find, and are limited in size choices. So what was your experience v. expectation with this brand?

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Re: Toyo Tire Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Please share your story(s) and pix about problems with Toyo Open Country tires. It is true that they are expensive, hard-to-find, and are limited in size choices. So what was your experience v. expectation with this brand?
I have 10k miles on a set of open country ATs and nothing to report on the failure front. They were not hard to find and one reason I picked them was the large number of sizes they offered on 17 inch wheels. They were expensive. So far they are wearing well and I have worked them pretty good off road airing down a few times. When aired down the sidewall stiffness is noticeable.

Never had a tire failure with any brand and expect good service from the toyos.
R
Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Stopped in Boise on the way back from Portland after purchasing my rig. The Les Schwabb there had all five 315/75/16 Open Country Mud tires in stock. Can't complain--but sometimes I still do.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I have about 3000 mi. +/_ on a set of Toyo 315 X 70 X 17's; (actually, 35 X 12.50 X 17). In the past I have run the B.F.G.'s on lots of vehicles including my 2008 SMB, for years and years and never had a failure. I switched to the Toyo's because of the weight issue (E-range) and the perceived increase in sidewall grip and durability, and have two issues with them: They are less directionally stable than the B.F.G.'s and they are considerably noisier as well.
It's for those reasons that I have them for sale in the classifieds for about half price.
So far, I haven't had a single call.
If I were to buy new tires tomorrow, it would be B.F.G.'s.
Chacun a son gout...
Bill
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #5

Just curious, were you running 35's (12.5 x 17) in BFG's?
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Which Open Country tires are we talking about? The A/Ts and M/T are two VERY different tires. The only thing they share is the Open Country name.

As mentioned above, the M/Ts do have some tread squirm associated with them. The A/Ts have none. But the A/Ts are pretty worthless on wet ice, once they wear about 50%, because the rubber compound hardens a lot.

My favorite is the Toyo M55. Amazing traction in all conditions. Main downsides are limited sizes, and low speed rating (88 MPH sustained). I used to run Open Country A/Ts in the summer for the higher speed rating, but since I'm rarely running without a trailer anymore, I decided the lower speed rating is OK. It does fine at higher speed for short bursts, like passing.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Have the Toyo MT tire and run about 4000 miles on them. I switched from the Nitto AT 35" which came with the van and I got about 28,000 miles out of them. AT's and MT's are two different tires and I was happy with both for different reasons and they both have their strengths. I don't think there is a perfect tire out there....

I do agree the Toyo MT's seem to not track as well as the bigger (and wider) AT's but to be expected. I fear no road now with the MT's and have done stuff I would not have attempted with the AT's on for sure. The MT's just have better traction all around and better bite on most everything I have encountered to date. The Nitto AT's spun quickly on even a small amount of mud and they wore really fast. Noise about the same except the MT's maybe a touch louder but hardly noticeable. Overall happy with the MT's. Biggest complaint is their highway tracking ability... they like to wander. Also a little stiffer (bumpier ride) due to the fact I went from D to E rating.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Twogone-
I have M/T's. And yes, The B.F.G.'s were 35's also. (315 X 7o X 17 as opposed to Toyo's nomenclature 35 X 12.50 X 17)
My feeling about the Toyo's is that in the dirt, they are the ultimate tire. I spend a fair amount of time in the dirt and rocks, and as I said the primary reason that I bought them was the huge increase in sidewall protection as well as the increased load capacity.
My objection to them is: as I have to GET to the dirt, they are in my mind a fairly crummy road tire.
To be fair, they are not built to be a road tire and as has been stated above, all tires are a compromise.
If I lived in Bishop or LonePine, or somewhere right next door to my favorite playground, Toyo's would be a no-brainer choice. However I live 5 hours away on the coast and 5 hours on the asphalt with those tires is a chore. Not to mention the wear and tear from the asphalt.
I have a feeling that as the tread wears down a little, the squirm will diminish some. Hopefully the noise will too.
The situation is not insurmountable and I'll live with it. I just wish they were as good a DUAL-PURPOSE tire as the B.F.G.'s.
Bill
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #9

Roger that Skywagon, compromise is the nature of tire choice. I guess I'm mostly searching for a story of Toyo failure, in conjunction with performance experience of the AT v MT v M55. (Thanks carringb)

Additionally, failure, to me, means the tire has no air in it, or prevents the vehicle from moving for whatever reason i.e. blowout, cut sidewall, puncture, tread separation and the like.

Performance experience would include traction issues (yep, I know that can prevent the vehicle from moving) treadlife, noise, handling/steering changes, etc.

I'm not looking to battle over tire brands. I'm asking a memberlist of more than 4200 people for a failure in this brand only.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

No failures on our 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/T (E) I have run them on and off road with no issues for close to 20K now, including just getting back from a 3500 mi. road trip. I run the pressure a little higher on the highway, about 70 psi, and air down to between 35-45 psi depending on off road conditions. They have worn really well and did not notice any excessive wandering while on road driving, even when new. I think my higher psi for on road driving helped increase tread life and kept the wandering to a minimum. I will be getting them again. I had BFG A/T's (D) before that wore out rather quickly.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote