Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

transfer flow CARB illegal?

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue.
I tried to smog my 2000 EB V10 and the tech looked up the sticker numbers on the door jamb as well as on the tank. When cross referenced, the sticker on the doorjamb indicates that the transfer flow system is only CARB approved for 97 & 98 E350s. The sticker on the tank indicates it is approved for diesel only. What gives?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... my tag expires at the end of the month!

Cheers,

Martin

Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: transfer flow CARB illegal?

I've had to smog here in CA for a couple years and no problems yet but I've got a diesel. Is this a CA smog test???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

That's right. California. The tech told me that they only started enforcing this a couple of years ago... Right when I bought the van. This the first smog I've gone through.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #4

Who did the install?

I'm pretty sure the evap emissions requirements were the same in '98 as '00. Maybe TF can just send an updated sticker? One requirement which some of the installer skipped however was the additional charcoal canister. The stock canister is only good for 35 gallons. A 2nd one has to be added for more fuel capacity. They simply connect in series.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

I would assume that SMB West did the install when the van was built up, but have to verify this with them on Monday. I have an email out to TF. At this point I am really hoping that someone wasn't paying attention and just put the wrong stickers on there.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

We have the dual tank, Transfer Flow system on our 2001 gas SMB and have had it smog tested without problems since we got it. However, a few months ago, I had it tested at the same shop I've been using and the owner told me that the sticker in the engine compartment (original Ford sticker?) was wrong and that I should remove it due to conflicting information (with what?).

I'm not sure it that if this is related to your question but I also got the impression that the problem was due to more checking of specifications than required in the past. The shop owner does a good job but English is a second language for him and it is difficult to understand him sometimes...
Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

That sounds like a related issue. That's nice he passed you. I assume you have a v10? The California ARB executive orders listed on my stickers only specify diesels, v6, and v8 engines for the econoline series. Hopefully, I'm not screwed. They are "cracking" down.

Yvrr, do you mind me asking, does your door post sticker from transferflow have the number (D-288-14) and the one on the rear tank (D-288-18)?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
the owner told me that the sticker in the engine compartment (original Ford sticker?) was wrong and that I should remove it due to conflicting information (with what?).
Probably the evap capacity information, which I think is listed on the belt-routing sticker (or maybe vacuum routing?). It says something along the lines of the evap system is rated for 35 gallons.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Hopefully they can help you...

I recently sold a 1994 Landcruiser with an aux 44 gallon gas tank. One smog guy I took it to saw the second fill nossle and then told me he could fail me for it, but that they weren't enforcing it yet. The next time I needed smog I went somewhere else, and no problem. I know smog testing is more difficult than it used to be but I know of a good tester down by Hoover HS.

Best of luck to you.
I'm not a big fan of CARB...
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

Perhaps contact TransferFlow?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote